Skip to main content

A+ in Manic Studies: Doctoral Level Achieved

I’ve never been “good” at having Bipolar Disorder. (I’m pretty sure that’s not even a thing.) For the record, I really loathe the term “bipolar.” I’m sure that’s likely because of the connotation, but still. Manic Depression was just fine and explained it well, so I don’t get why we needed to change it.


But, I digress.

If you’re new here, I was diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder circa early 2005, when I stayed up all night after my Poker Home Game contemplating what I should “do” with my life other than waiting tables, staring at my college diploma dated May 2003, and smoking weed. Then I just kept on staying awake. For days.

You might say I was lost. Languishing.

You would have been right.

I mostly held it together over the years, but every time I got recognizably manic (2005, 2008, 2019) I ended up needing inpatient treatment for a week. Those stays went from terrifying to intriguing. I really meshed with the addicts more than the others there for “regular” mental health help. (I’m not sure what that’s saying.)

In 2019, I fell in love with my soulmate and, as tends to happen with big feelings and life changes, the mania tapped on my shoulder and stayed for awhile. I thought it would all be a dealbreaker for him, but no - he stood strong and stood right with me. I think it helped that he knew me as a teenager, so he understood the temperament I could get back to, and he understood my pain.

We bought a house together a month after COVID hit, and then got hitched a year after that.

And I thought because of his love, the mania would now find me untouchable. I continued my two-decade charade of being under-medicated, and of stuffing down my feelings - until the summer came. Three months after our wedding, there I was: living large on big love. So, I finished my manuscript, clocking around 25k words in the span of 3 weeks. I’d finished!

It was just a final-first-draft - but I went ahead and queried.

Now, my novel is not by any means novel - in that it’s heavily based in my reality with a main character who is essentially a fictionalized version of me.

(I didn’t get an offer for representation in 2021, but that is not the point of this post.)

Novel me and Real me are quite similar: we both get to this painfully manic place, and we don’t know how to find what we’re looking for. Unlike U2, we don’t even KNOW what we’re looking for. But by god to we try to figure it out.

In the summer of 2021, YES - I finished my book and an accomplishment was achieved. But, I felt forced to step away from my career. I strained my relationship with my parents, by talking about said book and having to hear their retellings of some Childhood Bad Stuff. I was fine reliving it on the page, dissociating and writing in third person. But an actual conversation?! Ugh. No thanks.

By the summer of 2022, I was still under-medicated but at least I was seeing a therapist regularly. I personally think she would have been better as a 4th grade teacher, but that’s neither here nor there.

I started to think about going back to work - but if the world was my giant oyster, and I needed a bigger fork. I could work for the ACLU! The Innocence Project! A 911 operator! (I listen to a lot of True Crime Pods.)

I wound up back there: hard bed, thin sheets, a Group Therapy buddy who’d shot off half his face, but lived to tell about it. To tell me about it.

But, I had my usual, steady accoutrements: notebooks, my favorite books, my highlighters, my pens.

And I found it. Manic me had been leaving Future Manic me breadcrumbs. For years.

The note to self was inside the cover of my copy of Sophie's World. I'd written, at some point,

Harry Frankfurt
~on bullshit~
(saw on Daily Show)

Poem from 8/29/21

10/17/22 
Did I "find" this book next year?


So, I read ~on bullshit~ again... and I searched and searched for the 8/29/21 poem. Not in my desktop folders, not handwritten, nor in the Notes app on my phone. Even now, I had to ask myself, "where else could it be?" 2022 me figured it out. And so did Today Me.

I'd emailed it to myself. On 8/29/21. 

And I realized, a little more each year - so much of my illness stems from religious trauma coupled with an existential crisis of conscience. This year, I'm closer to solving it, or coming to terms with it, or reconciling it. (And I've updated the inside cover of Sophie's World. It's easier to find if I just tell Next Year Me to look at my blog entry from 9/8/23.


Poem 
My brain is buzzing like a saw
From all I saw
All I heard 
All I believed.

I saw the city sidewalks, our streets
I saw stale Monday beer cans at my feet
I saw the boards
Boarding up our fears
And boarding up or stores
Wails of corporate, and smaller tears.

I heard the cries 
the shots 
the screams - 
The lessons taught
I heard her name / say her name 
I heard nothing will ever be the same
We should be ashamed.

I believed a god spoke to me 
I thought he came to set us free
I believed the universe and its truth:
(to deny it now would be uncouth.)

My brain is buzzing like a saw
There's a line I had to draw
I no longer ascribe 
to all I believed.

I can't conceive of it all, 
thanks to all I heard
And all I saw.
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Closing Arguments, Trial 3. The Defense: Closing the Case of Adnan Syed v Alice LaCour and Brett Talley

  Would Hae Have Liked Pineapple on Pizza? If it Pleases the Court... Ladies and Gentlemen of the jury, I want to start by thanking you for your time. It is no small task to put your lives on hold and focus in on the details and particulars and specifics of this case, and it may be a struggle to focus when you have to think about what you're missing at home. Your civil duty - and your willingness to fulfill it - does NOT go unnoticed. I mentioned "time." It's a relative, term, right? I had to wait in line at the post office for 15 minutes. I waited for the checkout gal at Wal-Mart for 20, because they didn't have enough lanes open. I don't know about you, but I try to be patient. Sometimes I fail to wait gracefully, but I really do try.  So. Look at Adnan. For over TWENTY-THREE YEARS he has been waiting... patiently. 23 years ago, I was about the same age as Adnan. I graduated high school in the spring of 1999, just like he did - or would have - had he not bee

20 Points in a Basic Story in the Botched Case Against Adnan Syed: I Must Be Insane as that's 5x More than any Other Basic Story Presentation I've Ever Seen

  Basic Story With 20 Points:  Could Adnan be Innocent? "It's not a cop-out; it's case law." ~Bob Ruff, host, Truth and Justice Pod   1 Adnan was the main suspect - Hae's family passed that along to Officer Adcock on the afternoon she disappeared. Originally, they suspected she might be with Don, even though she had to work at 6pm and had never once NOT brought her cousin home. Does anyone know how old the second cousin is? Two cousins lived with Hae. And Officer Adcock's Supplemental Report dated 1/13/99 states that Mr. Lee advises that she "did not pick up his two cousins from school.") Did they go to the same school, these cousins? Another question that could be explored is why Hae's uncle is the only immediately family member who doesn't live with Hae.  Another pain point for me - I'm confused as to why the cousins did not live with their dad, Hae's uncle... but look. Every family has different dynamics. I mean, I gues

Not The Nisha Call: Other Things to Consider in the Case of Adnan Syed

"If there is anything about my case, man - I want to know... I want to test it... There's nothing about my case that that I'm afraid of." - Adnan Syed Serial, Episode 12: What We Knew Instead of focusing on a flower and Jay's Changing Stories, Consider This: A) The policemen handling the Missing Persons Investigation did sloppy and lazy work. They back dated reports and failed to interview multiple people  thoroughly enough. B) The police did not interview the family robustly enough to understand what else might have been going on in Hae's life. They, to my knowledge, did not find a translator and instead relied on the guidance of her younger brother. C) A computer, a floppy disk containing electronic diary entries were noted and later went "missing"  D) Hae's email and AOL Instant Messenger (AIM) accounts were never researched thoroughly, and her online activity is relatively unknown, outside of her newly updated "away message" which s