Skip to main content

Closer to Fine: Making Peace with my Mortal Coil

"There's more than one answer to these questions 

Pointing me in a crooked line

And the less I seek my source for some definitive 

(The less I seek my source)

Closer I am to fine."     - Emily Sailers, Indigo Girls


God, dear lord, this song moves me. It took me an instant to give up Christianity, but it's taken me a couple of decades to wrap my arms around that loss. 

We are humans. We live, and we die. Our sons and our daughters live on. And they die, and their sons and daughters live on, and we, as a species, ideally - 

have eternal life. 

But there's no ME in that scenario. I'm a cog in the wheel. I'm dust and decomposition. I'm the roadkill the crows would be pecking at, were it not for embalming or caskets or cremation. 

And I don't want to be nothing. I don't want to have no consciousness. I want to know what happens next. I want more than what I'll likely be given - 100 years or so on a planet, as a fairly evolved mammal - evolved enough to say, think these thoughts and write these posts. 

So, there's a Great Depression in knowing that I spent my first 20 years believing in the God of a bible (my chosen source - or, more so, the source chosen for me.) And then I spent another 20 trying to convince myself that it was okay to walk away from said source. 

Like the song said, I even spent time trying to take from multiple sources. 

I even spent time thinking through the metaphors in the sources - the Son versus the Sun. You know. If you know, you know. 

All of it sucks. 

All of the hate, done in the name of a god. 

All of the longing for something better than this mortal coil.

All of the comfort in believing the Evil ones will "get theirs" in Eternal Torment. 

But there's none of that.

There's only pointless hate, carried out for ego and for power.

There's only this mortal coil.

There's no comfort, no Eternal Torment, just a glitch in the brains of these mammals around me that make them hurt and kill their own.

There's only here. There's only now. 

And it terrifies me to have conscience, and it horrifies me to lose it.


Like Shakespeare said, "Conscience doth make cowards of us all." 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

fetal friday?

I know that I left everyone hanging yesterday. You know, when I went to pee on that stick. (That was mean of me. Not the peeing, but the leaving hanging.) Well, I think the big reveal is best expressed in letter form. Deep breath. Here goes. dear unborn baby daughter son or daughter, I take it back. I take back everything I said about not wanting kids. I was just scaredspice, and the slightest bit selfish, and maybe I had a giant fear of commitment. But, three positive test results in the last eighteen hours seem to say that you actually are in there, getting all comfy. I guess you'll probably be here in mid-December. I never thought about having a Christmas baby. (You've really put a wrench in my whole taking-maternity-leave-during-the-NCAA-tournament plan, but that's okay. At least it's basketball season. Don't tell Daddy yet, but you are going to cheer for the Indiana Hoosiers.) Speaking of Daddy, I take back all the mean things I've ever sa...

Last Call: John O'Keefe's Journey from Waterfall to Fairview (12:11:09am - 12:21:09)

I tend to bury the lead, so let me say this up front: I won't get to any of it in this post, but by 12:24:22am on January 29, 2022, John O'Keefe had arrived at 34 Fairview, gone into the house, been incapacitated, and had been dragged down the two short flights of stairs down to the basement, and up the stairs to and through the bulkhead door.  Yes. All of this happened by 12:24:22am. And here's how I started my research this week to figure it out: When I decided to look at timeline, I didn't think I'd spend all my free time in an entire DAY focusing on the short time frame of 12:11am - 12:21:09. I wanted to go "back to the start" (shoutout to Coldplay!) and figure out what the time discrepancy was really all about. I started with steps: Hyde (report) 12:11:09 - 12:21:09 170 steps 326 feet Guarino (testimony) 12:11:09 – 12:21:05 170 steps 326 feet Whiffin (report) ...

a little ashamed

I've been feeling a little guilty lately. I think I'm sort of obsessed with my own blog. Seriously, I adore coming home for lunch in the middle of my workday. My plan is always to sit down and write. It's the perfect time to work. There are no distractions (other than the hungry rumble in my tummy) or reasons that I shouldn't be able to churn out a good amount of words before I head back to the world of checking account deposits and cash-in tickets. However, I find that when I come home for lunch, all I want to do is blog. My reader is full as a good girl's Christmas stocking, and then there's my own post -- just waiting to be written. Something alarmingly witty, for sure. Something that will generate the multiple comments I will hungrily read from my cell phone when I sneak out for a cigarette break at 4:00. So, I avoid the writing -- you know, of the fiction variety. I sit here, instead watching the text fill the blank screen of a New Po...