Skip to main content

TMI Thursday: Just Drop It

(Preface: I didn't think I was going to have the strength to blog about this, but since what doesn't kill our babies makes them stronger...)

Two weeks have slipped by since our first day home with Stella. A couple of hours ago, hubs headed back to his job. (My mom took this week off from her job and is coming over to help me -- I think the plan is that she will entertain Stella while I clean up around the house. Part of me wishes she would do the cleaning up while I do the baby-holding, but it's her birthday today so I guess I'll let it slidespice.)

Um, anyway... I digress. (I'm stalling.)

So, I have one of those super-stylin' My Brest Friend pillows, which straps around me like a fanny pack slash inner-tube... I just lay the babe on it and whip out the boobage...

It pretty much rocks.

Well, I'd gotten kind of confident using that pillow because I had it with me in the hospital. So, for instance, if I... say, dropped the remote or something, I would just place my arm around little Stella's hip and back, grip the front end of the pillow... and then execute a quick bendy-move to pick up the remote... or my pen... or whatever.

So, Thursday the 16th -- our very first night home -- it was the wee hour and I was feeding my little bottomless-pit Stella when something... say, the remote, fell off the arm of the couch. Following the formula above, I went down to retrieve it...

I. flipping. dropped. Stella.

In truth, I didn't really drop her -- she more or less rolled off the pillow and onto the floor. She didn't even cry. She landed on her stomach. I have never moved so fast in my life! I got her up and inspected her -- deep breath, she was fine.

I called my sister, who is a nurse and works the night shift. She made me feel better by telling me about banging her daughter's head reallyreally hard when Carley was an infant. Whew. I guess it runs in the family; there's my excuse.

I wasn't going to tell my mom, but my sister told her for me. (I wasn't upset; I hadn't demanded she keep it quiet or anything.) My mom's reaction? Because she spoken to me over the phone between the time it happened and the time she found out, she laughed!

Apparently, she dropped me on my head when I will still a peanut. (No snide comments, guys... such as... oh, that'sssss what's wrong with her!) My mom was laying on the floor and had me up in the air looking down at her... and I just toppled out of her arms.

Okay, maybe it really does run in the family.

Hold me tight, Mommy!
The scariest part -- other than thinking about what could have happened had Stella landed differently, or how I been standing up in the kitchen or whatever when she fell -- was telling my husband.

He didn't give me too hard a time about it. He knew I felt so awful, and that it was an accident.

After Stella's acrobatic first week of life, I've decided that she is meant to be an Olympic medal-winning gymnast. Or, perhaps she'll do the high wire in the circus.

It's cool either way, as long as she doesn't marry a carnie.

Comments

Simply Suthern said…
My son was 2 weeks old when my wife was givng him a bath in the kitchen sink. She laid him on the counter top and reached for a towel when he rolled off. He cried less than she did. A month later he was on the corner of the waterbed in his Kanga-rocka-roo when big sis jumped on the bed and launched him off with a big wave. They are tiny and tender but they are also tough.
Artemis Grey said…
My little niece just turned 6 months old. And two days later her daddy 'let' her fall off the couch. TIt was the first big 'oops'. Then he had to tell my sis (who was at work with me, wishing she was off with the baby) and tell her. They both handled it well, and the baby, code name Walelu, didn't care in the slightest.

I have yet to actually drop Walelu so that she landed on the ground. I have, however, dropped her and caught her, and technically I sort of accidentally threw her once. After the first drop (I was trying to pull the burp rag out from between her body and mine, and kind of pulled her out of the curl of my arm) in which I caught her by one leg while she was rotating mid-air, I learned to have one hand around an appendage at all times. The second time I was 'flying' her around and, uh, my plane nearly crashed, but since I had a little fat baby leg in one hand, it was all good.

You're a great mommy Amber! :D
Vicki Rocho said…
You're doomed to hear all kinds of horror stories now!

Mine was strapped in her car seat (the rear facing infant ones). I unbuckled it from the center truck seat belt and got out to take a armload of crap in the house. The minute my back was turned she rolled (car seat and all) out of the truck and landed right-side up in the driveway. Not sure HOW it happened, just glad the handle was up on the car seat at the time!
Anonymous said…
Apropos of nothing in particular, your hubs can strap on the Brest Friend and hold a sleeping peanut in one arm while he mucks about on the computer/reads/flips channels with the remote. FTW.

:)
I stayed with my brother and sis-in-law when my nephew was born to help out. They turned the colicky little guy over to me late one night -- and I sat in the makeshift guest room, on my air mattress, trying to rock him gently while I read on my kindle. I could feel my head starting to droop and he's still WIDE AWAKE. I shake myself, turn itunes on to some soothing music (that puts babies to sleep, right?) and go back to the rocking. The rocking was more effective on me than it was on him -- because the next thing I know, my head is hitting my chest and he's hitting the air mattress. He fell a very short distance, but it shocked him (to his newborn credit, he didn't even cry!), but I cried. "OMG, I BROKE THE BABY!! I'LL NEVER BE FIT TO MOTHER!" At any rate, I'm his favorite aunt. must be the brain damage :p
Anonymous said…
I nearly died the day I drove home from the mall and discovered I had failed to strap my 2 month old baby into his car seat. I just kept imagining what could have happened. I thought I was the worst mother in the world. Every mommy does some thing like that... don't feel bad. (And hey at least you're breastfeeding... you get points for that;)

She's a beautiful baby by the way.
Amy

Popular posts from this blog

Closing Arguments, Trial 3. The Defense: Closing the Case of Adnan Syed v Alice LaCour and Brett Talley

  Would Hae Have Liked Pineapple on Pizza? If it Pleases the Court... Ladies and Gentlemen of the jury, I want to start by thanking you for your time. It is no small task to put your lives on hold and focus in on the details and particulars and specifics of this case, and it may be a struggle to focus when you have to think about what you're missing at home. Your civil duty - and your willingness to fulfill it - does NOT go unnoticed. I mentioned "time." It's a relative, term, right? I had to wait in line at the post office for 15 minutes. I waited for the checkout gal at Wal-Mart for 20, because they didn't have enough lanes open. I don't know about you, but I try to be patient. Sometimes I fail to wait gracefully, but I really do try.  So. Look at Adnan. For over TWENTY-THREE YEARS he has been waiting... patiently. 23 years ago, I was about the same age as Adnan. I graduated high school in the spring of 1999, just like he did - or would have - had he not bee

20 Points in a Basic Story in the Botched Case Against Adnan Syed: I Must Be Insane as that's 5x More than any Other Basic Story Presentation I've Ever Seen

  Basic Story With 20 Points:  Could Adnan be Innocent? "It's not a cop-out; it's case law." ~Bob Ruff, host, Truth and Justice Pod   1 Adnan was the main suspect - Hae's family passed that along to Officer Adcock on the afternoon she disappeared. Originally, they suspected she might be with Don, even though she had to work at 6pm and had never once NOT brought her cousin home. Does anyone know how old the second cousin is? Two cousins lived with Hae. And Officer Adcock's Supplemental Report dated 1/13/99 states that Mr. Lee advises that she "did not pick up his two cousins from school.") Did they go to the same school, these cousins? Another question that could be explored is why Hae's uncle is the only immediately family member who doesn't live with Hae.  Another pain point for me - I'm confused as to why the cousins did not live with their dad, Hae's uncle... but look. Every family has different dynamics. I mean, I gues

Not The Nisha Call: Other Things to Consider in the Case of Adnan Syed

"If there is anything about my case, man - I want to know... I want to test it... There's nothing about my case that that I'm afraid of." - Adnan Syed Serial, Episode 12: What We Knew Instead of focusing on a flower and Jay's Changing Stories, Consider This: A) The policemen handling the Missing Persons Investigation did sloppy and lazy work. They back dated reports and failed to interview multiple people  thoroughly enough. B) The police did not interview the family robustly enough to understand what else might have been going on in Hae's life. They, to my knowledge, did not find a translator and instead relied on the guidance of her younger brother. C) A computer, a floppy disk containing electronic diary entries were noted and later went "missing"  D) Hae's email and AOL Instant Messenger (AIM) accounts were never researched thoroughly, and her online activity is relatively unknown, outside of her newly updated "away message" which s