Skip to main content

First Page Blogfester

Preface: TGIF. It has been a day.

So. I'm participating in the First Page Blogfest in which writers around the blogosphere post the opening 24 lines of their WIP. (In a "real" book, this is the approximate amount of work that would appear on page 1!) This blogfest is being headed up by Kelly over at Kelly's Compositions. Please check out the other entries and leave them a comment on their work.

My own WIP will be featured on Roni's Beta Club next week, and I chose an excerpt from the beginning one chapter one for critque over there, so today I'll give you the true beginning: the opening lines of my prologue.

Here goes nothing.

My working title is A SAD SONG IN A FLAT KEY
Genre: Literary Fictionspice

Prologue

May 2005



     Laurel sits Indian style. She faces the head of her bed and tries to focus on Cafe Terrace at Night, pretending it is priceless artwork instead of a cheap replica. She counts the tables first, and then, the stars. A sliver of early morning sun sneaks around her bedroom curtains and Laurel contemplates whether or not she should muster a scowl. Balls of dust cling to the plastic picture frame, but illuminated, seem to glisten a bit. She cocks her head as she makes eye contact with her own reflection in the print, a makeshift mirror. Her ashy brown hair is tousled and sticking up in every direction like twigs in a windy tree.
     She starts to wiggle her big toe back and forth, a nervous habit Laurel doesn't recognize as her own. In her left hand, a silver Samsung vibrates again. Laurel sucks in a breath. She uses her thumb to flip up the face of the phone and eerie green words greet her with the obvious: another missed call from her mother. She snaps the phone shut and sighs. Ankles still crossed, she brings her knees to her chin and rests her right elbow on them, wrapping that hand around the back of her neck. She makes a fist with her free hand and allows the bridge of her nose to press against her knuckles. She squeezes her eyes closed.
     She thinks it unfair that her mom must deliver the bad news.
     The house creaks, and Laurel senses that Owen is perched in the doorway behind her, in his usual disapproval-stance: one arm on each side of the door frame, debating. She pretends, as precious seconds of solace slip away, that she does not notice that he is there. Still as a statue, she orders herself. He shifts his weight. I win, she thinks, imagining a staring contest.
     Owen starts slowly.
     "Laurel, please just get it over with. Call your mom back and let her say it. Call Paul, if you'd rather. Let him tell you what you think you already..."
     "Don't."
     She doesn't turn to face him.
     "Just leave me alone. I will call her back when I am fucking ready!"
     She hears the bedroom door slam, hears Owen's bare feet padding down the hall, and realizes, an afterthought, that she screamed the last sentence she spoke.

 
 
Okay! I'd love your feedback. I know that it is considered cheesy for the main character to see her own reflection, so don't berate me for it. I'll probably take that out.
 
Thanks for reading and have a Happy Easter slash Final Four Weekend.
 
Go Butler.

Comments

For the record, that was 24 lines when I wrote it in WORD.

Either it looks longer on my published post, or I just can't count.
Natalie Murphy said…
Good job sweets! I am intrigued and want to keep reading =) MWAH!
I also want to know the answer to the epic question of what the bad news is. And what's up with mom? :)
Nice! Ditto to what has been said. It must be bad for her to yell at the guy.

Good job building the dread and sorrow before we even know what the event is.
Unknown said…
I agree with the comment about the description of your character and your own thoughts about the indepth description from the mirror

I think I'd have her pulling her hair out - illuminated by the green glow and refusing to answer the phone - but I'm in :) loved it
Tara said…
You left me really wanting to know what the bad news is! Good job.
Unknown said…
Ahhhhhhhhhhhh ... so what's the news???????????

I love reading excerpts that are posted, but at the same time I hate it because I want to know what's going to happen. Like, now. It's horrible lol.
EmcogNEATO! said…
It's good. [chanting] We want more. We want more.

Literary Fictionspice. *smirk*
Sierra Godfrey said…
I like it.

I liked the sense of conflict and the worry the narrator has.

I didn't know what you meant by a "silver Samsung in my hand" though until later...I figured out it was a phone...wait, was it? Minor detail.

Yayspice!
dolorah said…
Nah; the reflection worked well. She was on the bed, and its not like it was an indept analysis.

This was very intriguing. Passionate, sensitive; I really felt her heartbreak through all that useless energy. It felt real to be doing something to distract herself. And not wanting to know something we suspect is true is perfectly normal.

And Owen's character was subtle, but well done. I got a good sense of who these two were, and how they relate to each other.

And the mystery; well done. I'm captivated.

..........dhole
Julie said…
Yeah, I found your blog! Loved chapter two by the way. Great job! I'm ready for 3 whenever you're ready to post it.

Julie
Anonymous said…
She's a great character. We already know she's tough because of Owen but also very unsure of herself. She's facing bad news of some kind and is trying to avoid the inevitable. Good multi-sided character.
VR Barkowski said…
I'm in! I want to know more about this character, what the bad news is, why she doesn't want to call her mother, and why she's mean to Owen. Well done!
Tiana Smith said…
Your voice is so unique! Seriously, I love how you started this piece, and I love your working title (I think you should keep it). Thank you for your kind words over on my blog today. They certainly made me smile :)
B.E. Sanderson said…
The mirror part didn't jar me out of the story - so it must've blended in enough to be done right. I think you've got a fine start here and I'd want to read more. Good job. =o)
Amalia Dillin said…
I am interested in finding out what this news is that she's agonizing over! The emotion is definitely spot on, and I think your instincts are right about removing the look in the mirror-- it slows us down with description we don't need. But the anxiety and stress of the scene and the situation is clear and compelling!
Pat Tillett said…
Hi there,
I took a chance and clicked on your link at Talli Roland's blog.
I'm glad I did. I really like what I've read. If you don't mind, I'm going to tag along.
thanks
Laurel said…
I like where this is going and the lushness of detail. The start seems a little slow for the tension you're trying to build. A bit of rearranging would help. A thought I had is to move up this bit to the beginning:

"The house creaks, and Laurel senses that Owen is perched in the doorway behind her, in his usual disapproval-stance: one arm on each side of the door frame, debating. She pretends, as precious seconds of solace slip away, that she does not notice that he is there."

Then transition to describing her staring at the picture in her effort to meditate and ignore him. The rest flows from there, though you'd need a transition to pick up the rest of the Owen bit that didn't move.

Anyway, it's an idea to try. Nice work, Amber.
Anonymous said…
Left wanting more. That's a great job!

Hosting Last Line Blogfest, details on my site.
Abby Annis said…
I want to know what is going on with the phone call. Great job! :)

Can't wait to read your post on Beta Club.

Popular posts from this blog

Closing Arguments, Trial 3. The Defense: Closing the Case of Adnan Syed v Alice LaCour and Brett Talley

  Would Hae Have Liked Pineapple on Pizza? If it Pleases the Court... Ladies and Gentlemen of the jury, I want to start by thanking you for your time. It is no small task to put your lives on hold and focus in on the details and particulars and specifics of this case, and it may be a struggle to focus when you have to think about what you're missing at home. Your civil duty - and your willingness to fulfill it - does NOT go unnoticed. I mentioned "time." It's a relative, term, right? I had to wait in line at the post office for 15 minutes. I waited for the checkout gal at Wal-Mart for 20, because they didn't have enough lanes open. I don't know about you, but I try to be patient. Sometimes I fail to wait gracefully, but I really do try.  So. Look at Adnan. For over TWENTY-THREE YEARS he has been waiting... patiently. 23 years ago, I was about the same age as Adnan. I graduated high school in the spring of 1999, just like he did - or would have - had he not bee

20 Points in a Basic Story in the Botched Case Against Adnan Syed: I Must Be Insane as that's 5x More than any Other Basic Story Presentation I've Ever Seen

  Basic Story With 20 Points:  Could Adnan be Innocent? "It's not a cop-out; it's case law." ~Bob Ruff, host, Truth and Justice Pod   1 Adnan was the main suspect - Hae's family passed that along to Officer Adcock on the afternoon she disappeared. Originally, they suspected she might be with Don, even though she had to work at 6pm and had never once NOT brought her cousin home. Does anyone know how old the second cousin is? Two cousins lived with Hae. And Officer Adcock's Supplemental Report dated 1/13/99 states that Mr. Lee advises that she "did not pick up his two cousins from school.") Did they go to the same school, these cousins? Another question that could be explored is why Hae's uncle is the only immediately family member who doesn't live with Hae.  Another pain point for me - I'm confused as to why the cousins did not live with their dad, Hae's uncle... but look. Every family has different dynamics. I mean, I gues

Not The Nisha Call: Other Things to Consider in the Case of Adnan Syed

"If there is anything about my case, man - I want to know... I want to test it... There's nothing about my case that that I'm afraid of." - Adnan Syed Serial, Episode 12: What We Knew Instead of focusing on a flower and Jay's Changing Stories, Consider This: A) The policemen handling the Missing Persons Investigation did sloppy and lazy work. They back dated reports and failed to interview multiple people  thoroughly enough. B) The police did not interview the family robustly enough to understand what else might have been going on in Hae's life. They, to my knowledge, did not find a translator and instead relied on the guidance of her younger brother. C) A computer, a floppy disk containing electronic diary entries were noted and later went "missing"  D) Hae's email and AOL Instant Messenger (AIM) accounts were never researched thoroughly, and her online activity is relatively unknown, outside of her newly updated "away message" which s