Skip to main content

the spice of life

Participating in The Beta Club yesterday was so much more fantastic than I could have imagined. The critiques I received were heartfelt, constructive, and inspiring. (The compliments made me blush a little, but also caused me to wear a giddy grin for the majority of the day.)

If you did read it, thank you. Thank you! THANK YOU!
(If you didn't, what the what?! Go here and read it, like I told you to yesterday.)
I plan to post my rewrite here soon. (Get excitedspice!)

Moving on.

Since I was a little giddy yesterday, I decided to take a leap and integrate "spice" into casual conversation... in addition to my (completely addicting!) use of the word as an amplifier in my blogwriting.

So, when I came back from lunch, I gave the following weather report to my work husband coworker:

"It's very hot and humid outside. Also, it's windyspice!"

He was all, "WTF?"

So I explained spice -- how I use it writing to magnify things. "For instance, if something is really fantastic, it's awesomespice. If I just feel like saying it, it's whateverspice I want it to be!"

Then, he basically questioned my mental stability. As if!

I continued to explain that while I don't use it in speakspice, I did once drop my phone cigarettes on the ground while getting out of my car. Even though I was alone (or perhaps because I was) I muttered the word "Shitspice." I told him that the coolest thing about it was that it was so second nature when I said it out loud.

I tried to do it justice. I felt I had to make him understand.

After assuming that all hope was lost, and that he would never buy in, I went ahead and admitted that I stole borrowed spice from fellow blogger Busy Bee Lauren, who -- so far as I know -- doesn't mind at all.

My former work husband coworker said to me, "Seriously? It wasn't even your own idea?"

I got a little pouty. "No, but, dude -- we can't all be the ones who start trends."

And do you know what he said to me?

He laughed and said, "Failspice."

We are so not getting divorced after all.

Comments

MJenks said…
Mother of fuckspice.

Hey. You may be onto something here...
Travener said…
And certainly your favorite condiment is allspice. Or is that your insurance company?
Melissa Hurst said…
He actually got it? Awesomespice!
Talli Roland said…
Haha! I lovespice it!
Unknown said…
Ooh, this is going to catch on, I can feel it. To tell the truth, I'm dieting right now, and starvingspice describes me quite poetically right now :D

I'm very excited to have connected with a fellow lit fic writer! It's felt like a YA world until now. Though, I love my awesomespice YA BFFs!

Looking forward to reading the revised version of your excerpt!
Julie said…
OMG! I just saw that you watch Lost. Another writer to discuss the plot of one of my favorite TV shows.
LMAO!spice. You rock. :)
Unknown said…
You are awesome I've never known anyone to have so many uses for the word spice but you amaze me at you your talent!!!

You rock!
Unknown said…
Oh and I love the word awesomesauce!
Susan Fields said…
He sounds like a keeper!
Roni Loren said…
I always wondered if you used the spice in every day talk. And I love the term work husband! I've totally had those--although they usually were gay, so not sure if that really counts, lol.
Tina Lynn said…
Shitspice. I'm so saying that from now on. Just curious. Did you laugh after you said that?
HAHA! I'm so glad that he "got" it. Boys can be so fricking slow sometimes. I will be saying "shitspice" as well becasue it really adds a little exra zing. Niceeee.
Shelly said…
I will shamelessly admit that two days ago I spent my whole day avoiding a bunch of important shit I should have been thinking about in order to focus all my brain power on thinking of an awesome word to attach to a few of my words for emphasis.

Couldnt think of one. Advicespice?
carissajade said…
Well shitspice. I like all the "spice" words, and I'll admit I've worked it into my daily vocab.. but shitspice might take the cakespice.
jayme said…
whoa repeatspice and love it more each timespice.
Anonymous said…
I'm going to use "shitspice" at some point in the next week. Oh, yes I am.

I may just add it on to every expletive I use, just for the fun of it. You think it'll take the sting out of it if I call someone a son of a bitchspice? Like maybe it's not that bad after all?

Nicespice...

Popular posts from this blog

Closing Arguments, Trial 3. The Defense: Closing the Case of Adnan Syed v Alice LaCour and Brett Talley

  Would Hae Have Liked Pineapple on Pizza? If it Pleases the Court... Ladies and Gentlemen of the jury, I want to start by thanking you for your time. It is no small task to put your lives on hold and focus in on the details and particulars and specifics of this case, and it may be a struggle to focus when you have to think about what you're missing at home. Your civil duty - and your willingness to fulfill it - does NOT go unnoticed. I mentioned "time." It's a relative, term, right? I had to wait in line at the post office for 15 minutes. I waited for the checkout gal at Wal-Mart for 20, because they didn't have enough lanes open. I don't know about you, but I try to be patient. Sometimes I fail to wait gracefully, but I really do try.  So. Look at Adnan. For over TWENTY-THREE YEARS he has been waiting... patiently. 23 years ago, I was about the same age as Adnan. I graduated high school in the spring of 1999, just like he did - or would have - had he not bee

20 Points in a Basic Story in the Botched Case Against Adnan Syed: I Must Be Insane as that's 5x More than any Other Basic Story Presentation I've Ever Seen

  Basic Story With 20 Points:  Could Adnan be Innocent? "It's not a cop-out; it's case law." ~Bob Ruff, host, Truth and Justice Pod   1 Adnan was the main suspect - Hae's family passed that along to Officer Adcock on the afternoon she disappeared. Originally, they suspected she might be with Don, even though she had to work at 6pm and had never once NOT brought her cousin home. Does anyone know how old the second cousin is? Two cousins lived with Hae. And Officer Adcock's Supplemental Report dated 1/13/99 states that Mr. Lee advises that she "did not pick up his two cousins from school.") Did they go to the same school, these cousins? Another question that could be explored is why Hae's uncle is the only immediately family member who doesn't live with Hae.  Another pain point for me - I'm confused as to why the cousins did not live with their dad, Hae's uncle... but look. Every family has different dynamics. I mean, I gues

Not The Nisha Call: Other Things to Consider in the Case of Adnan Syed

"If there is anything about my case, man - I want to know... I want to test it... There's nothing about my case that that I'm afraid of." - Adnan Syed Serial, Episode 12: What We Knew Instead of focusing on a flower and Jay's Changing Stories, Consider This: A) The policemen handling the Missing Persons Investigation did sloppy and lazy work. They back dated reports and failed to interview multiple people  thoroughly enough. B) The police did not interview the family robustly enough to understand what else might have been going on in Hae's life. They, to my knowledge, did not find a translator and instead relied on the guidance of her younger brother. C) A computer, a floppy disk containing electronic diary entries were noted and later went "missing"  D) Hae's email and AOL Instant Messenger (AIM) accounts were never researched thoroughly, and her online activity is relatively unknown, outside of her newly updated "away message" which s