Skip to main content

the days of cosmos and dreams

Home alone on a Friday night, I've indulged in Moe's chicken nachos (not as good as Qdoba!) and the SATC movie. Unthinkably, I hadn't seen the entire film until tonight. In October of 2008, I watched the majority of it at my gal pal's house the morning after her bachelorette party -- didn't get to see it all because hubs came to pick me up about the time Big and Carrie were supposed to get married. Hubs had to take me to retrieve my car from some dank alley in downtown Louisville, as I'd cabbed it back to said girlfriend's place at the end of that night with the drunkest of them.

In truth, my car was parked in a gated lot at my uncle-in-laws office.

I'd  began that evening at a posh party for Underwired magazine, which hub's aunt and uncle also attended. While drinking free wine and eating fancy food, I met two fabulous lady writers, the wonderfully feministic Javacia Harris and the ever effervescent Maisy Fernandez Draper. I was the teensiest bit awed to meet two real-live (then) Louisville-journalistas -- those Kentucky versions of Carrie Bradshaw (except without any Big drama) whose columns I'd read... but who, in person, were just really real. Inspiring.

After the party, my aunt-and-uncle-in-law claimed me and we ditched my car and headed to a swanky bar downtown, where Uncle paid for rounds and we sipped cocktails on low-to-the-ground white couches.

Next, they dropped me off so I could join the bachelorettes at the dive-bar where the bachelorette and her posse were indulging themselves in general debauchery and karaoke. I paid the dj so I could sing immediately (duh) and so that aunt-and-uncle-in-law could cheer me on, since they were only staying for one drink.

After karaoke, the girl group finished the night at Fourth Street Live! -- and in this situation, the exclamation point is not a sentence ender -- for club-type-dancing and what only felt to me like temple-throb-inducing techno music.

So, the next morning, when I awoke at the apartment of the bride-to-be, snuggled next to her and sharing her paisley blankets, I mostly thought of nothing but hangover remedies. But, when we forced ourselves out of bed and to the couch to start watching Sex and the City, I replayed the night in my mind.

Meeting those writers... I wanted to be those writerly ladies. Well, not exactly. I didn't have any desire to become a journalist. I just wanted to see my byline.

I submitted to Underwired. The theme that month was Time, and I wrote a perfectly shit piece about how time is ticking away... and there is never enough time. I probably used the word time about twenty times. I wrote it in fifteen minutes: submitted the very first draft after no more than a quick proofing.

(It was obviously not chosen for publication.)

I was so mortified that I never again submitted to the magazine.

Why did I give up? Why did I just do a 180, pretend that I didn't care, pretend that I didn't really want it? It was easier than facing the reality that I hadn't done my best work, that I felt entitled and sure I was a shoo-in.

It isn't that I quit writing, not at all. Still, I haven't attempted the essay route since then. I broke up with the form.

So much has changed since then -- less than two years ago -- when I had this smug swagger in my walk that screamed "born writer" with each footfall.

I've learned that natural talent is only the beginning, and that like anyone who is decent at anything -- you only become proficient with practice.

Maybe I'll submit again.

Like Carrie, staring at her monitor and tying Love... or Love.

Maybe I could stare at a blank screen and find my essay.

If not, I could always just re-watch Charlotte poop her pants.

Comments

Anonymous said…
"I've learned that natural talent is only the beginning, and that like anyone who is decent at anything -- you only become proficient with practice"

True dat, good lady. True dat. Djou gotta work for it, mang.

Actually, I just got a rejection from an editor--a very kind one--in which he pointed out a bunch of mistakes I'd have caught if I'd edited more thoroughly. I got excited and submitted without giving it time to gel. So I feel you on that one, honey.

Keep workin' it. You'll crack that market if you really want to. Just wait till they have a themed issue about TMI, or something.... :)
Jon Paul said…
Hi Amber,

Maybe it's no big deal, but I really dig this post because of the honesty--the truth!--in it. You just laid it out there, plain and simple. You know what, it worked.

Your lesson learned is a good one. That, and a little honesty and hard work is all you need!
Ashley Stone said…
um....why have I never thought to pay the DJ so I could sing faster???? Light bulb!!!!

And you should totally try again, you're awesomespice. ; )
Unknown said…
Oh my gosh the pooping her pants see made me laugh hysterically!!! I couldn't help but laugh!

What a cool thing that instead you met two awesome lady writers! SATC can always be watched but an opportunity like that only comes around once (maybe more but you get my drift!)
Oh my, life's hard little lessons. But yeah, you wouldn't be the first. We've all beentheredonethat. Glad you're back in the game. And have faith. As funny as it is to watch Charlotte poop her pants, I'd rather see you succeed.

AND I've tagged you in my latest post, chickie. I couldn't think of a better person to handle the madness.

Popular posts from this blog

Closing Arguments, Trial 3. The Defense: Closing the Case of Adnan Syed v Alice LaCour and Brett Talley

  Would Hae Have Liked Pineapple on Pizza? If it Pleases the Court... Ladies and Gentlemen of the jury, I want to start by thanking you for your time. It is no small task to put your lives on hold and focus in on the details and particulars and specifics of this case, and it may be a struggle to focus when you have to think about what you're missing at home. Your civil duty - and your willingness to fulfill it - does NOT go unnoticed. I mentioned "time." It's a relative, term, right? I had to wait in line at the post office for 15 minutes. I waited for the checkout gal at Wal-Mart for 20, because they didn't have enough lanes open. I don't know about you, but I try to be patient. Sometimes I fail to wait gracefully, but I really do try.  So. Look at Adnan. For over TWENTY-THREE YEARS he has been waiting... patiently. 23 years ago, I was about the same age as Adnan. I graduated high school in the spring of 1999, just like he did - or would have - had he not bee

20 Points in a Basic Story in the Botched Case Against Adnan Syed: I Must Be Insane as that's 5x More than any Other Basic Story Presentation I've Ever Seen

  Basic Story With 20 Points:  Could Adnan be Innocent? "It's not a cop-out; it's case law." ~Bob Ruff, host, Truth and Justice Pod   1 Adnan was the main suspect - Hae's family passed that along to Officer Adcock on the afternoon she disappeared. Originally, they suspected she might be with Don, even though she had to work at 6pm and had never once NOT brought her cousin home. Does anyone know how old the second cousin is? Two cousins lived with Hae. And Officer Adcock's Supplemental Report dated 1/13/99 states that Mr. Lee advises that she "did not pick up his two cousins from school.") Did they go to the same school, these cousins? Another question that could be explored is why Hae's uncle is the only immediately family member who doesn't live with Hae.  Another pain point for me - I'm confused as to why the cousins did not live with their dad, Hae's uncle... but look. Every family has different dynamics. I mean, I gues

Not The Nisha Call: Other Things to Consider in the Case of Adnan Syed

"If there is anything about my case, man - I want to know... I want to test it... There's nothing about my case that that I'm afraid of." - Adnan Syed Serial, Episode 12: What We Knew Instead of focusing on a flower and Jay's Changing Stories, Consider This: A) The policemen handling the Missing Persons Investigation did sloppy and lazy work. They back dated reports and failed to interview multiple people  thoroughly enough. B) The police did not interview the family robustly enough to understand what else might have been going on in Hae's life. They, to my knowledge, did not find a translator and instead relied on the guidance of her younger brother. C) A computer, a floppy disk containing electronic diary entries were noted and later went "missing"  D) Hae's email and AOL Instant Messenger (AIM) accounts were never researched thoroughly, and her online activity is relatively unknown, outside of her newly updated "away message" which s