Skip to main content

2010: A review in meme format (lots o' linky love)

1. What did you do in 2010 that you’d never done before?
Got impregnated, birthed a baby... also weighed my melons, got interviewed on the radio, loved my niece, (okay, loving my niece wasn't new) survived a bank merger buyout merger in which my original bank was not the one in charge, was the subject of a blog post written by someone other than me, attended a St. Patty's day parade with the Irish, got yelled at by my own thighs, painted a room, nested.

2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I tried to read 100 books. I read a respectable 68 books. I had low daily word expectations for 2010, and I exceeded that... er, fail. Resolurions for 2011? Nah, notsomuch. We're just going to enjoy the baby.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
If, by close to me you mean... rightherespice. *waves* (Also, my two besties from high school had babies in early 2010, another high school gal pal had twins in November, and THREE pals had babies on December 7th -- exactly one week before I had Stella.)

4. Did anyone close to you die?
No, not in 2010! It twas the year of birth (see above) not death.

5. What countries did you visit?
Shoo, I didn't travel that far since I had a bun in the oven and stuff.

6. What would you like to have in 2011 that you lacked in 2010?
The ability to fit into my regular jeans. Damn those cheese danish pregnancy cravings!

7. What dates from 2010 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
February 19th -- My old workplace, National City Bank, was sucked up and evaporated into another financial institution.
April 15th -- I peed on a stick. Multiple times.
December 14th -- My Stellybelly arrived.

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?














9. What was your biggest failure?
Possibly, naming my daughter Stella Claire. Because, I fear that when you say Stella Claire out loud it might sound like "Stale Eclair."

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
There was the gobstopper incident, the sports injury, and the root canal.

11. What was the best thing you bought?
It's all lame and baby-related.

12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
My friends and family, who baby-showered me with much love, affection, and gift cards. My dad, who stayed in the room while I gave birth (he didn't peek-ster or anything) since my sister couldn't make it and I wanted a third person in the room who was NOT my mother-in-law. (Love her. I just didn't want to have to tell her no, so I avoided that by having the room at full capacity.)

13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
Mostly, my own. Have you read my TMI Thursdays?! Wait... my bad behavior was sooo 2009. Nevermind.

14. Where did most of your money go?
To the bills: mortgage, car payment... to my OBGYN, to baby paraphernalia.

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Three words: it's a girl. Then, in December: a healthy little baby girl wail at 1:02 p.m.

16. What song will always remind you of 2010?
Sister Hazel's This Kind of Love
Oh, Holy Night
Away in a Manger
Martina McBride's In my Daughter's Eyes

17. Compared to this time last year, are you: (a) happier or sadder? (b) thinner or fatter? (c) richer or poorer?
Defffffinitely happier and fatter. Probably about the same financially... that will change when Stells starts daycare.

18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
I wish I'd saved more money. I wish I'd written more than I did. I wish I'd slept in more often toward the end of my pregnancy.

19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Eating cheese danish and doughnuts.

20. How did you spend Christmas?
Showing off Stella at three family functions; Christmas morning at our house

21. Did you fall in love in 2010?
Yes; with a newborn.

22. What was your favorite TV program?
LOST, How I Met Your Mother, Cougar Town, Modern Family, The Middle, Survivor, Castle, Dexter, ... I like t.v.

23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
I don't hate. I negotiate.

24. What was the best book you read?
I read soooo many great books in 2010. It's hard to choose a fave, Top 5: Donna Tartt's THE SECRET HISTORY, Chris Bohjalian's THE DOUBLE BIND, Laurie Halse Anderson's WINTERGIRLS, every book I read by Curtis Sittenfeld, and THE GIRL WHO STOPPED SWIMMING by Joshilyn Jackson

25. What was your greatest musical discovery?
I quite enjoyed oldies but goodies, thank you very much.

26. What did you want and get?
A new digital camera, the honor of choosing a girl name, and a vacation to florida with my fam...

27. What did you want and not get?
I wanted to find Hubs a better paying job. So far, nadaspice. At least he has a crappy-paying job, though. That's better than no job at all.

28. What was your favorite film of this year?
(Hmm... what movies did I see?!) One of my favorites was Remember Me, because the end was such a surprise. Also, I loved Alvin and the Chipmunks, the Squeakquel, because I saw it with Carley.

29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned the big 2-9 on March 2, and I celebrated with: sushi with my parents and hubster, a hell of a lot of karaoke, a blog giveaway... and on my actual birthday, I had to work at the bank... but a nice lady I know who works at Starbucks brought me a latte and a muffin...

30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Not having a huge fight with hubs about how I wasn't sure we should have kids... about .05 seconds before I got pregnant. Sure, it's special memory now... but it was a serious waste of energy and emotionally draining... and all for naught.

31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2008?
Maternity-chic, y'all!

32. What kept you sane?
Food, pre-natal vitamins, my mother, ultrasounds and OB appointments, feeling Stella kick... an epidural.

33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Ryan. Yummy. Reynolds.

34. What political issue stirred you the most?
My usual: equal rights for everyone... and a woman's right to chose.

35. Who did you miss?
Skinny-Amber... my Pappaw... other people.

36. Who was the best new person you met?
duhspice
















37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2010.
Sometimes, when you announce a fear out loud, the universe helps you overcome it.

38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
In my daughter's eyes, I can see the future -- a reflection of who I am and what will be.

Comments

Tina Lynn said…
Gobstopper incident? *snortspice* Beautiful girl! The baby's pretty cute, too <3
jayme said…
stale eclair > emmatate
Unknown said…
It's been a great year, by the way this list reads. So fun to read your answers!! Have a great day, sweets!
Awwwwwwwwwwwww. Haven't been by in awhile (#Shannonfail) so I'm late to say HUGE CONGRATS and OMG what a cutie.

Also I never would have caught the Stale Eclair. But NOW I see it. ;)
Monique Cherie said…
seams like you had a good year, tell Stell Eclair i said hi ;-D
Anonymous said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Popular posts from this blog

Closing Arguments, Trial 3. The Defense: Closing the Case of Adnan Syed v Alice LaCour and Brett Talley

  Would Hae Have Liked Pineapple on Pizza? If it Pleases the Court... Ladies and Gentlemen of the jury, I want to start by thanking you for your time. It is no small task to put your lives on hold and focus in on the details and particulars and specifics of this case, and it may be a struggle to focus when you have to think about what you're missing at home. Your civil duty - and your willingness to fulfill it - does NOT go unnoticed. I mentioned "time." It's a relative, term, right? I had to wait in line at the post office for 15 minutes. I waited for the checkout gal at Wal-Mart for 20, because they didn't have enough lanes open. I don't know about you, but I try to be patient. Sometimes I fail to wait gracefully, but I really do try.  So. Look at Adnan. For over TWENTY-THREE YEARS he has been waiting... patiently. 23 years ago, I was about the same age as Adnan. I graduated high school in the spring of 1999, just like he did - or would have - had he not bee

20 Points in a Basic Story in the Botched Case Against Adnan Syed: I Must Be Insane as that's 5x More than any Other Basic Story Presentation I've Ever Seen

  Basic Story With 20 Points:  Could Adnan be Innocent? "It's not a cop-out; it's case law." ~Bob Ruff, host, Truth and Justice Pod   1 Adnan was the main suspect - Hae's family passed that along to Officer Adcock on the afternoon she disappeared. Originally, they suspected she might be with Don, even though she had to work at 6pm and had never once NOT brought her cousin home. Does anyone know how old the second cousin is? Two cousins lived with Hae. And Officer Adcock's Supplemental Report dated 1/13/99 states that Mr. Lee advises that she "did not pick up his two cousins from school.") Did they go to the same school, these cousins? Another question that could be explored is why Hae's uncle is the only immediately family member who doesn't live with Hae.  Another pain point for me - I'm confused as to why the cousins did not live with their dad, Hae's uncle... but look. Every family has different dynamics. I mean, I gues

Not The Nisha Call: Other Things to Consider in the Case of Adnan Syed

"If there is anything about my case, man - I want to know... I want to test it... There's nothing about my case that that I'm afraid of." - Adnan Syed Serial, Episode 12: What We Knew Instead of focusing on a flower and Jay's Changing Stories, Consider This: A) The policemen handling the Missing Persons Investigation did sloppy and lazy work. They back dated reports and failed to interview multiple people  thoroughly enough. B) The police did not interview the family robustly enough to understand what else might have been going on in Hae's life. They, to my knowledge, did not find a translator and instead relied on the guidance of her younger brother. C) A computer, a floppy disk containing electronic diary entries were noted and later went "missing"  D) Hae's email and AOL Instant Messenger (AIM) accounts were never researched thoroughly, and her online activity is relatively unknown, outside of her newly updated "away message" which s