Skip to main content

The Dinner that Wasn't


Sadly, dinner with 2002 College Prof Extraordinaire became the dinner that wasn't when her otherwise lovely (I'm assuming) husband put a wrench in our plans by getting stones in his kidneys. And needing surgery and a wife to be there for it.

In the words of Stephanie Tanner, how rude!

Not to worry, Internet. We've rescheduled and are on for our first available (kid free for me) joint date to take place on Monday, September 9th. Last time we said wild horses couldn't keep us away, but apparently kidney stones > wild horses.

Incidentally, there was a date that didn't work for either of us because we both have haircuts scheduled. I mean, if she isn't my girl soulmate I don't know who is. (I use the qualifier because I just found my Boy Soulmate and I wouldn't want him to be offended. He wouldn't be offended, because of the whole soulmate thing, but you know, I'm just being thoughtful. Or, you might not know. Do you have soulmates? This is getting to be a lengthy aside.)

(My asides get lengthy. To know me is to love me.)

Section in which she has now read Chapter 1 and I'm paying her to say nice things about me:

This feedback took place virtually, and the subject line reads "so good and strong and assured." And I mean, yeah - I'm giving her actual dollar bill incentive to praise me, but I don't think she's hurting for money.

Basically the entire email has blurbs that could go on the front cover of my future Second Born, this book. (Second only to Stella.)

Lemme just toot my own horn for one more minute a few more blog posts.

"The tension, the timing, the selection of just the right number of details to reveal. And by its (the chapter's) end, the reader just wants more, more, more."

Curtsy peace out people!

Her opinion means the world to me. Good day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

fetal friday?

I know that I left everyone hanging yesterday. You know, when I went to pee on that stick. (That was mean of me. Not the peeing, but the leaving hanging.) Well, I think the big reveal is best expressed in letter form. Deep breath. Here goes. dear unborn baby daughter son or daughter, I take it back. I take back everything I said about not wanting kids. I was just scaredspice, and the slightest bit selfish, and maybe I had a giant fear of commitment. But, three positive test results in the last eighteen hours seem to say that you actually are in there, getting all comfy. I guess you'll probably be here in mid-December. I never thought about having a Christmas baby. (You've really put a wrench in my whole taking-maternity-leave-during-the-NCAA-tournament plan, but that's okay. At least it's basketball season. Don't tell Daddy yet, but you are going to cheer for the Indiana Hoosiers.) Speaking of Daddy, I take back all the mean things I've ever sa...

Last Call: John O'Keefe's Journey from Waterfall to Fairview (12:11:09am - 12:21:09)

I tend to bury the lead, so let me say this up front: I won't get to any of it in this post, but by 12:24:22am on January 29, 2022, John O'Keefe had arrived at 34 Fairview, gone into the house, been incapacitated, and had been dragged down the two short flights of stairs down to the basement, and up the stairs to and through the bulkhead door.  Yes. All of this happened by 12:24:22am. And here's how I started my research this week to figure it out: When I decided to look at timeline, I didn't think I'd spend all my free time in an entire DAY focusing on the short time frame of 12:11am - 12:21:09. I wanted to go "back to the start" (shoutout to Coldplay!) and figure out what the time discrepancy was really all about. I started with steps: Hyde (report) 12:11:09 - 12:21:09 170 steps 326 feet Guarino (testimony) 12:11:09 – 12:21:05 170 steps 326 feet Whiffin (report) ...

a little ashamed

I've been feeling a little guilty lately. I think I'm sort of obsessed with my own blog. Seriously, I adore coming home for lunch in the middle of my workday. My plan is always to sit down and write. It's the perfect time to work. There are no distractions (other than the hungry rumble in my tummy) or reasons that I shouldn't be able to churn out a good amount of words before I head back to the world of checking account deposits and cash-in tickets. However, I find that when I come home for lunch, all I want to do is blog. My reader is full as a good girl's Christmas stocking, and then there's my own post -- just waiting to be written. Something alarmingly witty, for sure. Something that will generate the multiple comments I will hungrily read from my cell phone when I sneak out for a cigarette break at 4:00. So, I avoid the writing -- you know, of the fiction variety. I sit here, instead watching the text fill the blank screen of a New Po...