Skip to main content

Good Grief, get me some bacon: a debut novel

 A

Ahhhhh, I love bacon. But do you deserve bacon if you haven't been to the YMCA to work out since around 2018? 

Well, suck on this - I went to Yoga there this morning. So I gets all the bacon.

Secretly, I'm pretty sure I love grief, too. I tend to hold on to mine, and nuture it like it's a little pet, like a puppy I can stroke when I'm feeling anxious or alone.

But, I digress...

To Be Read

Book I Haven't Read Yet: Bacon Grief, by Joel Shoemaker.

Reason I Haven't Read It: I didn't know it existed until Friday. I attended the first in-person Louiville Book Festival on Friday and it was phenomenal. 

Joel's ad in the event program caught my eye, as did the title. I knew that after I attended a couple of panels, I would immediately make my way into the ballroom to find his table and grab a copy of his book.

Should you read it? 

Um, only if you like awesome librarian dudes who have husbands and dogs named Maximus. Also, this might be a great one to get into the libraries in your own school districts, just to watch some parents get their panties into wads! 




Bacon Grief tells the story of Tim and Charlie, two church kids who become friends and start to consider a relationship that is something  more than platonic. The boys must make the "choice to reconcile faith and sexuality."

It sounds so good! And Joel is a wonderful human. It was a joy getting to meet him and talk to him about his book. I wish he was local, but he was in town from central Illinois. You can find him on all the socials - @joelshoemaker10 on the twatter - check him out like, nowspice.

I promised I wouldn't start it until I finish Nora's book, Bad Vibes Only. Ugh! So many books, so little...bacongrief.com

I'm off to speed read!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

fetal friday?

I know that I left everyone hanging yesterday. You know, when I went to pee on that stick. (That was mean of me. Not the peeing, but the leaving hanging.) Well, I think the big reveal is best expressed in letter form. Deep breath. Here goes. dear unborn baby daughter son or daughter, I take it back. I take back everything I said about not wanting kids. I was just scaredspice, and the slightest bit selfish, and maybe I had a giant fear of commitment. But, three positive test results in the last eighteen hours seem to say that you actually are in there, getting all comfy. I guess you'll probably be here in mid-December. I never thought about having a Christmas baby. (You've really put a wrench in my whole taking-maternity-leave-during-the-NCAA-tournament plan, but that's okay. At least it's basketball season. Don't tell Daddy yet, but you are going to cheer for the Indiana Hoosiers.) Speaking of Daddy, I take back all the mean things I've ever sa...

Last Call: John O'Keefe's Journey from Waterfall to Fairview (12:11:09am - 12:21:09)

I tend to bury the lead, so let me say this up front: I won't get to any of it in this post, but by 12:24:22am on January 29, 2022, John O'Keefe had arrived at 34 Fairview, gone into the house, been incapacitated, and had been dragged down the two short flights of stairs down to the basement, and up the stairs to and through the bulkhead door.  Yes. All of this happened by 12:24:22am. And here's how I started my research this week to figure it out: When I decided to look at timeline, I didn't think I'd spend all my free time in an entire DAY focusing on the short time frame of 12:11am - 12:21:09. I wanted to go "back to the start" (shoutout to Coldplay!) and figure out what the time discrepancy was really all about. I started with steps: Hyde (report) 12:11:09 - 12:21:09 170 steps 326 feet Guarino (testimony) 12:11:09 – 12:21:05 170 steps 326 feet Whiffin (report) ...

a little ashamed

I've been feeling a little guilty lately. I think I'm sort of obsessed with my own blog. Seriously, I adore coming home for lunch in the middle of my workday. My plan is always to sit down and write. It's the perfect time to work. There are no distractions (other than the hungry rumble in my tummy) or reasons that I shouldn't be able to churn out a good amount of words before I head back to the world of checking account deposits and cash-in tickets. However, I find that when I come home for lunch, all I want to do is blog. My reader is full as a good girl's Christmas stocking, and then there's my own post -- just waiting to be written. Something alarmingly witty, for sure. Something that will generate the multiple comments I will hungrily read from my cell phone when I sneak out for a cigarette break at 4:00. So, I avoid the writing -- you know, of the fiction variety. I sit here, instead watching the text fill the blank screen of a New Po...