Skip to main content

getting all bookified

My pal, pinkflipflops, at the many thoughts of a reader snagged these questions from squido.com.

I'd love to read your book-y answers, too!

What have you just read?

I just finished THE GIRL WHO STOPPED SWIMMING by Joshilyn Jackson and I lurvvvved it. I blogged about it earlier this week because I jocked it so much. Before reading that amazing novel, I read WEDDING SEASON by Darcy Cosper, (adored it) a book my Mom liked called THE SHACK (sort of abhored it!) and BUT INSIDE I'M SCREAMING by Elizabeth Flock (it was a'right.)

What are you reading now?

Don't laugh. I often read 21654321 books at the same time. I technically have six books going right now.

I've been reading Jonathan S. Foer's EVERYTHING IS ILLUMINATED since April. Yeah. I've sort of decided to finish it at some point since I'm close to halfway through it.

I'm reading THE BLIND ASSASSIN by Margaret Atwood.

I started THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO last night because I couldn't help myself.

I've been reading Steve Martin's THE PLEASURE OF MY COMPANY in my car-spare-time (i.e. red lights and drive thru's) this week, and I'm in love with the first 30 pages. I brought it in the house last night and apologized to "those other books" I'm reading.

Also, I'm reading THE PREGNANCY JOURNAL: A DAY TO DAY GUIDE TO A HEALTHY AND HAPPY PREGNANCY and WHAT TO EXPECT WHEN YOU'RE EXPECTING.

Obvi.

Do you have any idea what you'll read when you're done with that?

As a matter of matter, I do! When I finish at least two of the books listed above I'll probably start one of my library books... either Patricia Wood's LOTTERY or Jonathan Tropper's HOW TO TALK TO A WIDOWER.

What's the worst thing you were ever forced to read?

Herm. I can't remember being forced to read anything completely heinous. I wasn't a fan of MOBY DICK, so I put it down after 140-ish pages. But no one was forcing me to read it. My ex-beau went through an Ayn Randian phase, and I wasn't a huge fan of THE VIRTUE OF SELFISHNESS, either.

What's one book you always recommend to just about anyone?

Sue Miller's WHILE I WAS GONE.
Barbara Kingsolver's THE POISONWOOD BIBLE.
Lois Lowry's THE GIVER.

Le Sighspice. I love those three books.

Do you read books while you eat?

Yes. At almost every meal.

While you bathe?

I used to sit down in the shower and read when I was a teen. Sometimes the pages would get wet. (Um, no. I'm serious!) These days, my hot water heater doesn't have time for me to both read and wash my 2000 parts, so I put the kibosh on that activity years ago.

I hardly ever have a bath, but when I do, there are always bubbles and books involved.

While you watch movies or tv?

Yes, sometimes. During commercials, especially. Then I'll look up and realize the show is back on and I have to rewind live television. I often say, "It's magic" while doing so, and kiss my remote. I love DVR.

While you're on the computer?

Not typically. Maybe if I was waiting for a website to load, or if I was idle on facebook or something.

When you were little did other children tease you about your reading habits?

Not that I can recall... they had plenty of other reasons to tease me (reasons including, but not limited to, the canyon of a gap between my two front teeth.)

I did get in trouble once during fifth grade Math class for reading a Baby-Sitter's Club book in the middle of the lesson.

What's the last thing you stayed up half the night reading because it was so good you couldn't put it down?

Chris Bohjalian's THE DOUBLE BIND... and about 90% of the other books I've read this year.

Have any books made you cry?

Duh! I'm a girlspice. The last book I remember inducing actual wet tears were Cormac McCarthy's THE ROAD and Sue Miller's LOST IN THE FOREST.

This was fun! If your name is Travener or Roni or Elena or Shannon or other-Amber's or JM Diaz or Carissa or Jen or Simon or Wendy or Sierra or Natalie or Mehlane or Vickie or Lilly or B.E. or something else then YOU, too... should complete this meme.


(Yeah, that was lazy tagging, so you aren't officially bound.)

Comments

Leslie said…
Ok, you MUST add Foer's second novel, Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close, to your list!
Book twins! I love the Pleasure of my Company. Steve Martin if phenomenal. Absolutely phenomenal. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo was freaking amazing -- and I jumped right into the sequel.... and then the final book in the trilogy. The BF got me a kindle, which I thought I would hate, but I actually lovespice. Don't think I'm a book sellout.
Sierra Godfrey said…
I love this and enjoyed your answers. I'll totes do this too. (But only cause you mentioned me). Kisses!
Ashley Stone said…
oh my goodness can I just say that I have read every Babysitter club book!!! Well... unless new ones have come out since the 90's, haha.... but ya know.. all the old ones, like 100!!

You will love Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. The beginning was slow for me, so don't give up on it, but once you get into it you'll be hooked.

What is the girl who stopped swimming about?
B.E. Sanderson said…
Thanks for sort of tagging me, Amber. I just put my answers up. It was a fun way to procrastinate on my edits. =o)
Melissa Hurst said…
*sneaking on to leave a comment cuz I'm "officially" on a blogging/commenting hiatus cuz I'm supposed to be finishing my WIP*

OOOOOH, I totally cried when I read The Road, too. So freakin sad!

I'm missed ya Amberspice!!!!!!
You have made me add like a gazillion books on goodreads lately. When will I ever read them all???
Natalie Murphy said…
*is adding some of the books to my list*

I'll try and get to this next week =)
MJenks said…
Done and done.

But only because there have been so many bathing suit pics on here recently.
You crack me up! This made me laugh out loud (as most of your posts do).
I do the exact same thing while watching tv... I don't even know why I try to watch tv, I should just read.
Travener said…
I'll have mine posted soon.

Popular posts from this blog

Closing Arguments, Trial 3. The Defense: Closing the Case of Adnan Syed v Alice LaCour and Brett Talley

  Would Hae Have Liked Pineapple on Pizza? If it Pleases the Court... Ladies and Gentlemen of the jury, I want to start by thanking you for your time. It is no small task to put your lives on hold and focus in on the details and particulars and specifics of this case, and it may be a struggle to focus when you have to think about what you're missing at home. Your civil duty - and your willingness to fulfill it - does NOT go unnoticed. I mentioned "time." It's a relative, term, right? I had to wait in line at the post office for 15 minutes. I waited for the checkout gal at Wal-Mart for 20, because they didn't have enough lanes open. I don't know about you, but I try to be patient. Sometimes I fail to wait gracefully, but I really do try.  So. Look at Adnan. For over TWENTY-THREE YEARS he has been waiting... patiently. 23 years ago, I was about the same age as Adnan. I graduated high school in the spring of 1999, just like he did - or would have - had he not bee

20 Points in a Basic Story in the Botched Case Against Adnan Syed: I Must Be Insane as that's 5x More than any Other Basic Story Presentation I've Ever Seen

  Basic Story With 20 Points:  Could Adnan be Innocent? "It's not a cop-out; it's case law." ~Bob Ruff, host, Truth and Justice Pod   1 Adnan was the main suspect - Hae's family passed that along to Officer Adcock on the afternoon she disappeared. Originally, they suspected she might be with Don, even though she had to work at 6pm and had never once NOT brought her cousin home. Does anyone know how old the second cousin is? Two cousins lived with Hae. And Officer Adcock's Supplemental Report dated 1/13/99 states that Mr. Lee advises that she "did not pick up his two cousins from school.") Did they go to the same school, these cousins? Another question that could be explored is why Hae's uncle is the only immediately family member who doesn't live with Hae.  Another pain point for me - I'm confused as to why the cousins did not live with their dad, Hae's uncle... but look. Every family has different dynamics. I mean, I gues

Not The Nisha Call: Other Things to Consider in the Case of Adnan Syed

"If there is anything about my case, man - I want to know... I want to test it... There's nothing about my case that that I'm afraid of." - Adnan Syed Serial, Episode 12: What We Knew Instead of focusing on a flower and Jay's Changing Stories, Consider This: A) The policemen handling the Missing Persons Investigation did sloppy and lazy work. They back dated reports and failed to interview multiple people  thoroughly enough. B) The police did not interview the family robustly enough to understand what else might have been going on in Hae's life. They, to my knowledge, did not find a translator and instead relied on the guidance of her younger brother. C) A computer, a floppy disk containing electronic diary entries were noted and later went "missing"  D) Hae's email and AOL Instant Messenger (AIM) accounts were never researched thoroughly, and her online activity is relatively unknown, outside of her newly updated "away message" which s