Skip to main content

if you're happy and you know it... make a list

Bank Monday holidays are the best. A solid, uninterrupted weekend -- even if one is forced to put in a few Saturday hours, as this one was -- and Monday off on the company's dime.

Blissspice.

However, a Tuesday at the bank after a Monday holiday is not so utopian and sometimes makes an employee forget why it was worth it to have a day off at all.

So, yes. Today has been a bit stressful. I'd like to take this opportunity to remind myself of all the things that make me happy.

Things that make me grin

1. Lunch hour. Eating hubs homemade tuna on yummy whole grain bread, even though we're at the end of the loaf and I had to use the heel.

2. Making sweet tea in my Mr. Coffee Iced Tea Maker. Drinking said sweet with ice. Ice is nice. I like ice.

3. My 2010 reading total: 48 books. As of July 6th, I'm only two books off the pace. I WILL read 100 books this year. (Know of any good short books? I'm obvi going to need to pad my stats a little.)

4. Classic college basketball games on the Big Ten Network. Cheering for my Hoosiers in games long since written in the record books is fun, not strange.

5. Three paychecks in July. I loved you July 2nd. July 16th and July 30th -- we will be great friends.

6. Signing up for WriteOnCon. I'm allowed, even though I don't write kid lit.

7. Memories of Jake and Vienna's interview last night on The Bachelorette. It was deliciously awkward, though it did give me a bit of heartburn. Worth it.

8.  My vacation starts Saturday! We're going to Destin, Florida and will have fun whether we're bathed in suntan oil or BP oil.

9. Shopping for vacation must-haves, like a bathing suit, because this is the first year I can say that it isn't my fault if I don't look like a perfect ten in my swim wear. Of course I don't. I'm making a baby.

10. Saying der out loud after typing number 9.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Try Conrad's Heart of Darkness and The Secret Sharer (novellas, both). Also, The Old Man and the Sea is short. So is Goodnight Moon. (You could easily break 250 books this year if you count picture books.)

I'm considering the WriteOnCon issue meself. I'll try to avoid mention of disembowelings in the forums. *exercises manful restraint*
Jenna Wallace said…
Great list. And use #9 for as long as you can.

Short books? How about A Virtuous Woman by Kaye Gibbons, or The Bride's Farewell by Meg Rosoff.
MJenks said…
The one good thing about lablife is that I wound down pretty much everything on Friday, and now I'm just hanging out getting a new project underway.

And by "wound down" I mean I surfed the internet all day, until it was time to go home, which was right after lunch.
Unknown said…
I think I should make a baby so I can use #9 as my excuse... brilliant!!!

Oh Jake and Vienna, your trashiness never gets old in my book :)
Yay for WriteOnCon!

Oh, and ice IS nice. I'm one of those weird people who orders my iced tea with an extra glass of ice, because it always melts and then I want more!

Hope you're haveing a happy Tuesday!
Shopgirl -- it's a novella and it's AMAZING.
Ashley Stone said…
love it! Do you read the twilight books? Stephanie Meyer's new book is a novella: The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner. And it's super good! I read it in 1 day.
Travener said…
Animal Farm is really short. The Great Gatsby isn't all that long. The Old Man and the Sea is shortspice.

Popular posts from this blog

Closing Arguments, Trial 3. The Defense: Closing the Case of Adnan Syed v Alice LaCour and Brett Talley

  Would Hae Have Liked Pineapple on Pizza? If it Pleases the Court... Ladies and Gentlemen of the jury, I want to start by thanking you for your time. It is no small task to put your lives on hold and focus in on the details and particulars and specifics of this case, and it may be a struggle to focus when you have to think about what you're missing at home. Your civil duty - and your willingness to fulfill it - does NOT go unnoticed. I mentioned "time." It's a relative, term, right? I had to wait in line at the post office for 15 minutes. I waited for the checkout gal at Wal-Mart for 20, because they didn't have enough lanes open. I don't know about you, but I try to be patient. Sometimes I fail to wait gracefully, but I really do try.  So. Look at Adnan. For over TWENTY-THREE YEARS he has been waiting... patiently. 23 years ago, I was about the same age as Adnan. I graduated high school in the spring of 1999, just like he did - or would have - had he not bee

20 Points in a Basic Story in the Botched Case Against Adnan Syed: I Must Be Insane as that's 5x More than any Other Basic Story Presentation I've Ever Seen

  Basic Story With 20 Points:  Could Adnan be Innocent? "It's not a cop-out; it's case law." ~Bob Ruff, host, Truth and Justice Pod   1 Adnan was the main suspect - Hae's family passed that along to Officer Adcock on the afternoon she disappeared. Originally, they suspected she might be with Don, even though she had to work at 6pm and had never once NOT brought her cousin home. Does anyone know how old the second cousin is? Two cousins lived with Hae. And Officer Adcock's Supplemental Report dated 1/13/99 states that Mr. Lee advises that she "did not pick up his two cousins from school.") Did they go to the same school, these cousins? Another question that could be explored is why Hae's uncle is the only immediately family member who doesn't live with Hae.  Another pain point for me - I'm confused as to why the cousins did not live with their dad, Hae's uncle... but look. Every family has different dynamics. I mean, I gues

Not The Nisha Call: Other Things to Consider in the Case of Adnan Syed

"If there is anything about my case, man - I want to know... I want to test it... There's nothing about my case that that I'm afraid of." - Adnan Syed Serial, Episode 12: What We Knew Instead of focusing on a flower and Jay's Changing Stories, Consider This: A) The policemen handling the Missing Persons Investigation did sloppy and lazy work. They back dated reports and failed to interview multiple people  thoroughly enough. B) The police did not interview the family robustly enough to understand what else might have been going on in Hae's life. They, to my knowledge, did not find a translator and instead relied on the guidance of her younger brother. C) A computer, a floppy disk containing electronic diary entries were noted and later went "missing"  D) Hae's email and AOL Instant Messenger (AIM) accounts were never researched thoroughly, and her online activity is relatively unknown, outside of her newly updated "away message" which s