Skip to main content

Making a Way Through Grief

 T


To meet Rae Serafina Barker is to discover a dark angel.

I call her that because she describes herself as an "underworld journeyer." 

And how cool is that? 

Her job is to help folks heal and make meaning through grief. This coincides with creating art and deep spaces.

I love women who hold space for other women. Rae seems to hold space for everyone. She's like the brunette version of Kristen Bell, or something. Just slightly less bubbly. 

Every stinking time I scroll past a Facebook post from Rae, I know I have to stop and prepare myself. Today's most recent post began, "I used to struggle with decisions."

Same, sister.

I knew I needed to make time to read her post and let it really wash over me and into me, let it sink under my skin. Her posts always need that attention, as they are so chock full of insight and awakenings and awareness.

She likes to use a plus sign instead of the word "and." This was hard for me to get used to, but I came to understand - the plus sign causes me to slow down + breathe while I'm reading + really think about what Rae is teaching me. 

She is a teacher. And, she's also a grief coach. She understands the underworld - a "disorienting and liminal space where we meet sorrow, grapple with the unknown and experience death and rebith."

Yeah.

If you're in the  midst of grief - whether it's a traditional loss, a lost dream, change, or even grieving life Pre-Covid - Rae is here to walk you through a journey. Grief invites us into something deep and important. Rae explained that to me.

We met by happenstance on a  Women's Virtual Networking Event. A breakout session allowed us to get to know one another, and I was humbled that Rae was interested in the sorrrowful plot of my (as yet unpublished) novel, Rubber Eraser Scars. We planned to chat more after the event, and set up a zoom call a day or two later. During that call, I learned that she does not practice therapy or counsel her clients, but she does assist with identity formation.

An advocate of those affected by domestic violence and a certified life coach, Rae is so well suited to help you with your grief. I asked her how she manages to do this job. For me, a huge empath, I think I would be drained rather than filled up.

Not Rae. As she put it, she has a deep capacity for hard emotions. 

Reach out to Rae on Facebook or her website.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

fetal friday?

I know that I left everyone hanging yesterday. You know, when I went to pee on that stick. (That was mean of me. Not the peeing, but the leaving hanging.) Well, I think the big reveal is best expressed in letter form. Deep breath. Here goes. dear unborn baby daughter son or daughter, I take it back. I take back everything I said about not wanting kids. I was just scaredspice, and the slightest bit selfish, and maybe I had a giant fear of commitment. But, three positive test results in the last eighteen hours seem to say that you actually are in there, getting all comfy. I guess you'll probably be here in mid-December. I never thought about having a Christmas baby. (You've really put a wrench in my whole taking-maternity-leave-during-the-NCAA-tournament plan, but that's okay. At least it's basketball season. Don't tell Daddy yet, but you are going to cheer for the Indiana Hoosiers.) Speaking of Daddy, I take back all the mean things I've ever sa...

Last Call: John O'Keefe's Journey from Waterfall to Fairview (12:11:09am - 12:21:09)

I tend to bury the lead, so let me say this up front: I won't get to any of it in this post, but by 12:24:22am on January 29, 2022, John O'Keefe had arrived at 34 Fairview, gone into the house, been incapacitated, and had been dragged down the two short flights of stairs down to the basement, and up the stairs to and through the bulkhead door.  Yes. All of this happened by 12:24:22am. And here's how I started my research this week to figure it out: When I decided to look at timeline, I didn't think I'd spend all my free time in an entire DAY focusing on the short time frame of 12:11am - 12:21:09. I wanted to go "back to the start" (shoutout to Coldplay!) and figure out what the time discrepancy was really all about. I started with steps: Hyde (report) 12:11:09 - 12:21:09 170 steps 326 feet Guarino (testimony) 12:11:09 – 12:21:05 170 steps 326 feet Whiffin (report) ...

a little ashamed

I've been feeling a little guilty lately. I think I'm sort of obsessed with my own blog. Seriously, I adore coming home for lunch in the middle of my workday. My plan is always to sit down and write. It's the perfect time to work. There are no distractions (other than the hungry rumble in my tummy) or reasons that I shouldn't be able to churn out a good amount of words before I head back to the world of checking account deposits and cash-in tickets. However, I find that when I come home for lunch, all I want to do is blog. My reader is full as a good girl's Christmas stocking, and then there's my own post -- just waiting to be written. Something alarmingly witty, for sure. Something that will generate the multiple comments I will hungrily read from my cell phone when I sneak out for a cigarette break at 4:00. So, I avoid the writing -- you know, of the fiction variety. I sit here, instead watching the text fill the blank screen of a New Po...