Skip to main content

Chasing Justice

 I 

I wouldn't know about Kerry Max Cook if it wasn't for Bob Ruff. I mentioned his podcast, Truth and Justice, in my post yesterday. This man is doing WORK when it comes to the wrongfully convicted. 

Book I Haven't Read Yet: Chasing Justice: My Story of Freeing Myself After Two Decades on Death Row for a Crime I Didn't Commit by Kerry Max Cook. 

Kerry is an innocent man who served about twenty years for the 1977 rape and murder of a 21 year old woman named Linda Jo Edwards. The case against him was circumstantial at best, and only tightened thanks to police corruption and prosecutorial misconduct. 

The amount of evil in Smith County, Texas will make your head spin. Truth and Justice's second season covers the stories of Kerry Cook, Kenny Snow and Ed Ates. The struggles and injustices all three faced at the hands of the power hungry is unreal.

Why I Haven't Read It - Bob Ruff suggested reading Chasing Justice before listening to the aforementioned season of his podcast.

I'm a rule breaker. A rebel. I went ahead and dove in, listened to the entire season of the pod... so now I'm feeling a bit guilty. I'll be ordering my copy today. 

Should You Read It? 

Read it! Kerry has provided a free pdf online if you can't afford to purchase the book. READ, and then listen to Bob's podcast. Follow the rules. You'll be completely engrossed in these stories.

The stats on wrongfully convicted people are astounding. Some estimates figure that nearly 1,000 people are wrongfully convicted each year, and that more than half of wrongful convictions are a result of misconduct. Some reports state that black people are 7.5 times more likely to be wrongfully convicted of murder than whites, and that the risk is even greater if the victim is white. 

Humanizing these people should spur you to action, as it has done for me. Check out the Truth and Justice website and reach out to the Innocence Project to learn more about how you can help.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

fetal friday?

I know that I left everyone hanging yesterday. You know, when I went to pee on that stick. (That was mean of me. Not the peeing, but the leaving hanging.) Well, I think the big reveal is best expressed in letter form. Deep breath. Here goes. dear unborn baby daughter son or daughter, I take it back. I take back everything I said about not wanting kids. I was just scaredspice, and the slightest bit selfish, and maybe I had a giant fear of commitment. But, three positive test results in the last eighteen hours seem to say that you actually are in there, getting all comfy. I guess you'll probably be here in mid-December. I never thought about having a Christmas baby. (You've really put a wrench in my whole taking-maternity-leave-during-the-NCAA-tournament plan, but that's okay. At least it's basketball season. Don't tell Daddy yet, but you are going to cheer for the Indiana Hoosiers.) Speaking of Daddy, I take back all the mean things I've ever sa...

Last Call: John O'Keefe's Journey from Waterfall to Fairview (12:11:09am - 12:21:09)

I tend to bury the lead, so let me say this up front: I won't get to any of it in this post, but by 12:24:22am on January 29, 2022, John O'Keefe had arrived at 34 Fairview, gone into the house, been incapacitated, and had been dragged down the two short flights of stairs down to the basement, and up the stairs to and through the bulkhead door.  Yes. All of this happened by 12:24:22am. And here's how I started my research this week to figure it out: When I decided to look at timeline, I didn't think I'd spend all my free time in an entire DAY focusing on the short time frame of 12:11am - 12:21:09. I wanted to go "back to the start" (shoutout to Coldplay!) and figure out what the time discrepancy was really all about. I started with steps: Hyde (report) 12:11:09 - 12:21:09 170 steps 326 feet Guarino (testimony) 12:11:09 – 12:21:05 170 steps 326 feet Whiffin (report) ...

a little ashamed

I've been feeling a little guilty lately. I think I'm sort of obsessed with my own blog. Seriously, I adore coming home for lunch in the middle of my workday. My plan is always to sit down and write. It's the perfect time to work. There are no distractions (other than the hungry rumble in my tummy) or reasons that I shouldn't be able to churn out a good amount of words before I head back to the world of checking account deposits and cash-in tickets. However, I find that when I come home for lunch, all I want to do is blog. My reader is full as a good girl's Christmas stocking, and then there's my own post -- just waiting to be written. Something alarmingly witty, for sure. Something that will generate the multiple comments I will hungrily read from my cell phone when I sneak out for a cigarette break at 4:00. So, I avoid the writing -- you know, of the fiction variety. I sit here, instead watching the text fill the blank screen of a New Po...