Skip to main content

It's Perfectly Normal - (unless you're Ultra Christian and "Morally Superior")

C

Cheers to the weekend and cheers to the book I haven't read yet: It's Perfectly Normal: Changing Bodies, Growing Up, Sex, Gender and Sexual Health by Robie E. Harris and Michel Emberley. 

As a mom of a 6th grade girl, I'm in the trenches. My kid is SO private that I've hardly seen her body since she started developing breasts. She got her first period around the end of March, and she didn't tell me until AUGUST. She cried when she told me because she knew my feelings would be hurt, and she felt bad for "lying."

Other than, in fact, having feelings that WERE hurt, I provided her with all the grace in the world. It's her body - she has a right to privacy, even with me. When she wanted me to teach her to shave her legs, we did so with her clothing on, pants rolled up and legs over the side of the tub. 

Kids aren't always comfortable discussing puberty with their parents. I wasn't either. It's okay. 

Important resources are out there - and they aren't all healthy. I recently learned about this freaky conservative society that believes Sex Education in schools leads to more homosexuals -- laughable, if that thought wasn't so offensive and scary. 

I still remember sex education - boys and girls were separated. It was the early 90's, and my favorite 5th grade teacher Ms. Skinner taught us to feel comfortable saying PENIS PENIS PENIS/ VAGINA VAGINA VAGINA. And if any of the boys acted a fool after we re-integrated, we were instructed to look at them and say, in a sing-song voice, "I'm imma-ture, I'm imma-ture." 

(Because lord knows, they were immature.)

Should You (or your kids) read It's Perfecctly Normal? I would argue, absolutely. When they are ready, which is the moment they express interest, but honestly, my thoughts are that kids need the instruction as soon as they become fertile or are around girls who are fertile. Particularly with Roe being overturned. Even in the 1990's, I recall from  middle school Sex Ex our health teaching warning, YOU CAN GET PREGNANT BEFORE YOU GET YOUR FIRST PERIOD. You might be ovulating and getting ready to start. Thankfully for me, I had already started my period by that time and hadn't yet considered kissing, much less sex. Still, it gave me pause, because it wasn't something I'd considered before. But, I digress, which I usually do.

So, now for some additional context around This Controversial Book

Clutch those pearls a little tighter,
Linsdey

The newly-elected State Senator from my district (and the bane of my existence) pretty much ran on a platform of this book being pornography. She was running unopposed, so she didn't even need to go there. However her interests lie in promoting her White Christian agenda (and those of the Trumper-backers) at my -- and her -- local school board. In addition, she has spoken at school boards about 1) Trans kids in bathrooms 2) Mask choice and 3) CRT and 4) supporting the local police.

Ya know. All the things. 

And PS her name is Lindsey Sublett Tichenor. She's easy to find on Facebook - so please let her know she sucks, as she has already blocked me. I peek in on her posts using my business page, and copy and paste as needed to share her nonsense and inform my friends and followers. It brings me much joy and many hits to my serotonin levels. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

fetal friday?

I know that I left everyone hanging yesterday. You know, when I went to pee on that stick. (That was mean of me. Not the peeing, but the leaving hanging.) Well, I think the big reveal is best expressed in letter form. Deep breath. Here goes. dear unborn baby daughter son or daughter, I take it back. I take back everything I said about not wanting kids. I was just scaredspice, and the slightest bit selfish, and maybe I had a giant fear of commitment. But, three positive test results in the last eighteen hours seem to say that you actually are in there, getting all comfy. I guess you'll probably be here in mid-December. I never thought about having a Christmas baby. (You've really put a wrench in my whole taking-maternity-leave-during-the-NCAA-tournament plan, but that's okay. At least it's basketball season. Don't tell Daddy yet, but you are going to cheer for the Indiana Hoosiers.) Speaking of Daddy, I take back all the mean things I've ever sa...

Last Call: John O'Keefe's Journey from Waterfall to Fairview (12:11:09am - 12:21:09)

I tend to bury the lead, so let me say this up front: I won't get to any of it in this post, but by 12:24:22am on January 29, 2022, John O'Keefe had arrived at 34 Fairview, gone into the house, been incapacitated, and had been dragged down the two short flights of stairs down to the basement, and up the stairs to and through the bulkhead door.  Yes. All of this happened by 12:24:22am. And here's how I started my research this week to figure it out: When I decided to look at timeline, I didn't think I'd spend all my free time in an entire DAY focusing on the short time frame of 12:11am - 12:21:09. I wanted to go "back to the start" (shoutout to Coldplay!) and figure out what the time discrepancy was really all about. I started with steps: Hyde (report) 12:11:09 - 12:21:09 170 steps 326 feet Guarino (testimony) 12:11:09 – 12:21:05 170 steps 326 feet Whiffin (report) ...

a little ashamed

I've been feeling a little guilty lately. I think I'm sort of obsessed with my own blog. Seriously, I adore coming home for lunch in the middle of my workday. My plan is always to sit down and write. It's the perfect time to work. There are no distractions (other than the hungry rumble in my tummy) or reasons that I shouldn't be able to churn out a good amount of words before I head back to the world of checking account deposits and cash-in tickets. However, I find that when I come home for lunch, all I want to do is blog. My reader is full as a good girl's Christmas stocking, and then there's my own post -- just waiting to be written. Something alarmingly witty, for sure. Something that will generate the multiple comments I will hungrily read from my cell phone when I sneak out for a cigarette break at 4:00. So, I avoid the writing -- you know, of the fiction variety. I sit here, instead watching the text fill the blank screen of a New Po...