Skip to main content

for the love of the game

Yes, I'm all serious and writerly, but I'm a sporty girl, too. I mean, not in the coordinated, running aound with athletic gear sense, but in fandom... if there is a bigger Indiana basketball fan than me, I would like to meet him!

I took these photos at a game I went to last year at Assembly Hall in Bloomington, Indiana. A friend of mine has season tickets, and her seats are pretty high up there. This was our view of the court during the first half of the game. However, at halftime the most wonderful thing happened. A man was leaving early and sold us his tickets for $10.00. They were in a section called The North Lodge -- behind the home basket and ten rows from the floor.

Can you see this picture at all? Once we were cozied up in our amazing new seats, I took a picture of the nosebleeds, thinking just how far we'd come. I mean, we'd hit the big time scoring these seats, rubbing elbows with the newspaper photographers, the wealthy, and the alumni.


Just look how happy I am! I am literally glowing. (I might have been a little sweaty, so that could account forthe shine. But, it was warm in there and I was cheering really hard for my team, so I am not apologizning.)

You'll note my t-shirt says CHAMPS. This is the NCAA Championship t-shirt from 1987, the last year IU won it all. My dad gave to me years ago. I used to sleep in it when I was a kid and it came down to my knees. It might have has a hole in the arm pit.


I was especially excited at the end of this game, since we won -- and only by three points. It was a nail-biter.
Also, pardon the red eye. It's either the school colors, or the devil in me.



Here, hubs and I pose for a phot while fans of the opposing team (how did they get those seats?) hang their heads behind us. I'm not sure what is up with my hubster's hair in this picture.You'll note also that while his shirt is red, it is a shout out for Old Navy and not "for the glory of old IU."


Hubs is a Louisville fan. He supports me in my fandom, since we don't play against each other on a yearly basis anymore. The first year we were dating -- in fact it was about five minutes after we started dating -- Louisville blew out Indiana by more than twenty points.... so that is why I don't feel bad that this picture is more flattering of me than him.

Here I am at the end of that night, blissfully happy and getting ready to leave Bloomington and the historic barn that is Assembly Hall.


I might look a little bit like a bug in my Hoosier tobaggon, but it kept my little noggin warm.


 So. Tomorrow is the annual rivalry between Indiana and the as-yet-unbeaten Kentucky Wildcats.
Tip off is at noon. Bring it.

Comments

That post looked really jacked up when I first pubslished it, but I think I worked it out.
carissajaded said…
Looks fun!! I'm not a huge fan, but every once in a while when I get to go to a Mavs game, I have a blast!!!

Everyone in my office is obsessed with Louisville, btw.... I dont get it really.. we're in texas!
looks great...and it looks like you were having a great time.

much love
Tina Lynn said…
I like a little Troy Bolton with my basketball:)
Jerry C said…
I've got mixed emotions. Love that basketball and think Larry Bird is one of the all-time greats. Mixed about Bobby Knight. But, having sent 5 kids to U of Illinois (University named a toilet after me), I gotta tell you, Indiana can win all their games except for the two or maybe three they play against the Illini.
Jerry,

So I guess you were mad about Eric Gordon?

:)
MJenks said…
The last time Indiana came to Notre Dame, I put on my red sweatshirt and stood in the student section and taunted the losers around me.

It was so great when Kirk Haston and Dane Fife ruined Troy Murphy's final season in the blue and gold. And spoiled that top-ten ranking, too.

Getting completely decimated by an unranked team will do that to you...

Popular posts from this blog

Closing Arguments, Trial 3. The Defense: Closing the Case of Adnan Syed v Alice LaCour and Brett Talley

  Would Hae Have Liked Pineapple on Pizza? If it Pleases the Court... Ladies and Gentlemen of the jury, I want to start by thanking you for your time. It is no small task to put your lives on hold and focus in on the details and particulars and specifics of this case, and it may be a struggle to focus when you have to think about what you're missing at home. Your civil duty - and your willingness to fulfill it - does NOT go unnoticed. I mentioned "time." It's a relative, term, right? I had to wait in line at the post office for 15 minutes. I waited for the checkout gal at Wal-Mart for 20, because they didn't have enough lanes open. I don't know about you, but I try to be patient. Sometimes I fail to wait gracefully, but I really do try.  So. Look at Adnan. For over TWENTY-THREE YEARS he has been waiting... patiently. 23 years ago, I was about the same age as Adnan. I graduated high school in the spring of 1999, just like he did - or would have - had he not bee

20 Points in a Basic Story in the Botched Case Against Adnan Syed: I Must Be Insane as that's 5x More than any Other Basic Story Presentation I've Ever Seen

  Basic Story With 20 Points:  Could Adnan be Innocent? "It's not a cop-out; it's case law." ~Bob Ruff, host, Truth and Justice Pod   1 Adnan was the main suspect - Hae's family passed that along to Officer Adcock on the afternoon she disappeared. Originally, they suspected she might be with Don, even though she had to work at 6pm and had never once NOT brought her cousin home. Does anyone know how old the second cousin is? Two cousins lived with Hae. And Officer Adcock's Supplemental Report dated 1/13/99 states that Mr. Lee advises that she "did not pick up his two cousins from school.") Did they go to the same school, these cousins? Another question that could be explored is why Hae's uncle is the only immediately family member who doesn't live with Hae.  Another pain point for me - I'm confused as to why the cousins did not live with their dad, Hae's uncle... but look. Every family has different dynamics. I mean, I gues

Not The Nisha Call: Other Things to Consider in the Case of Adnan Syed

"If there is anything about my case, man - I want to know... I want to test it... There's nothing about my case that that I'm afraid of." - Adnan Syed Serial, Episode 12: What We Knew Instead of focusing on a flower and Jay's Changing Stories, Consider This: A) The policemen handling the Missing Persons Investigation did sloppy and lazy work. They back dated reports and failed to interview multiple people  thoroughly enough. B) The police did not interview the family robustly enough to understand what else might have been going on in Hae's life. They, to my knowledge, did not find a translator and instead relied on the guidance of her younger brother. C) A computer, a floppy disk containing electronic diary entries were noted and later went "missing"  D) Hae's email and AOL Instant Messenger (AIM) accounts were never researched thoroughly, and her online activity is relatively unknown, outside of her newly updated "away message" which s