Skip to main content

twenty-something questions

I was tagged by Tina. I love that she tagged me, because I like to answer questions about myself, escpecially with words. I am not a fan of surveys that require a click of a radio button to opt for one of multiple choices.

So now that I have established that, I am required (upon penatly of nothing) to tag to other writerly souls.

I pick Travener and Roni, and will happily await their responses should they feel compelled to participate.

1. What's the last thing you wrote? What's the first thing you wrote that you still have?

Well, the last thing I wrote was a little re-vamp of my mc's breakup with her first serious boyfriend in my WIP. It was kind of fun to be a bit melodramatic, since Laurel is well aware that she is acting that way, and it sort of scolding herself for it. I dig it.

The first thing I wrote (creatively) and held onto was a children's book for Young Author's called FREDDY THE BAKER. But, in fairness, I had help from my dad. So, the first thing that was really my own was a poem from sixth grade English class. I'm looking at the original copy as I type, because I am a nerd. Are you ready for this genius piece of writing?

My Thinking Place
by Amber Tidd

There is a place out in the woods, where I go to think.
It's by a waterfall so shiny, I almost want to take a drink.
I sit on my special rock and think about my day,
I'm so deep in thought that the time just slips away.
The sound of running water calms my anger and fear.
It's like I have a companion, although there is no one near.
I think about my private thoughts, that I want no one else to know, as I
watch the sunshine reflected off the waterfall, which seems to have a magical glow.
Looking at my watch -- it's time to go home, no doubt --
but I'll be back soon because my thinking place is one place I could never live without.


2. Write poetry?

See above, and previous posts where I pimp my inner poet. I've written more poetry than anything else, followed by short stories. I always preferred poetry for capturing little moments. Writing a full novel is so much more challenging and daunting. But, I'm up for it.

3. Angsty poetry?

I wrote a ton of angsty poetry in high school and college. It was all very boy-angsty and sad. Some of those are my favorite pieces, though. I ain't mad at it.

4. Favorite genre of writing?

Um, I like contemporary fiction, modern short stories, literary fiction, women's literature... but I will read pretty much anything I can get my hands on, including crime fiction, sci-fi, and paranormal/ urban fantasy...but I don't think I'll ever write those specialized genres.

5. Most annoying character you've ever created?

Probably, and sadly, the one based on me -- my current leading lady, Laurel Lancaster. I had this scary thought this morning. What if no one likes her?

6. Best Plot you've ever created?

Well, since I am only working on my first book, we'll go with that. It's about a woman who loses a former love. He dies. She feels to blame... but it's about more than that. Clearly, I am no where near writing a synopsis yet.

7. Coolest Plot twist you've ever created?

Crap.

8. How often do you get writer's block?

I just now stared at the blank space underneath question eight for like a full five minutes.

9. Write fan fiction?

I'm a fan of myself, and I am loosely writing about personal experiences, so um, does that count? The only fan fiction I've ever even read were some Saved By the Bell books. They were heinous.

10. Do you type or write by hand?

Usually, I type. I feel like I write better quality when typing. Sometimes I'll hand write, like when the hubster hogs the laptop or when I'm out of the house with a notebook.

11. Do you save everything you write?

I save almost absolutely everything. I have a huge manilla folder bursting at the seams, filled with pages of poetry torn from journals, typed pages, looseleaf pages. It's probably my prized possession -- that thing I would run and grab if the house caught fire. I also have papers I wrote in high school and college. I am a saver.

12. Do you ever go back to an idea after you've abandoned it?

Yes. My current WIP actually began in 2002-2003 as a series of short stories.

13. What's your favorite thing you've ever written?

Probably this poem:

tainted words
and ink blots
stain my life,
rubber eraser scars.


14. What's everyone else's favorite story that you've written?

I think that the jury is still out on this one.

15. Ever written romance or angsty teen drama?

No, not really. I guess the beginning of my WIP could read like an angsty teen drama, but I hope that it does not read that way.

16. What's your favorite setting for your characters?

Small town Indiana and Louisville, Kentucky

17. How many writing projects are you working on right now?

Just the one -- the Laurel one. I have considered working on essays or short stories for submission, but I don't want to distract myself from my ultimate goal, at least not until I have a complete first draft.

18. Have you ever won an award for your writing?

I haven't won any awards yet, just the lovely prize of publication in a college literary mag. Twice. I've never really entered any writing contests, though.

19. What are your five favorite words?

How I am supposed to narrow it down to five? Hmm, five nice words... All in love is fair.

20. What character have you created that is most like yourself?

Laurel Lancaster.

21. Where do you get ideas for your characters?

Currently, some are versions of real life people I know. Actually, I guess they all are versions of people I've met, maybe several people even, all rolled up into one.

22. Do you ever write based on your dreams?

Not especially, not yet. I've had a few dreams I could use, though, and I have referenced "real" dreams in my ms, but the story isn't based on it.

23. Do you favor happy endings?

I love happy-sad endings, like in The Bridges of Madison County and The Notebook. Someone might die, but the journey was so wonderful that it's not as sad... if they didn't have the incredible journey together then there would be nothing to be sad abount. So, it's meaningful. I guess that's the payoff. And, I like to cry. (No, I'm kidding.) In books, I am okay with sad endings because the story mattered. I kind of like ambiguous endings, too. I am definitely not a "and they rode off into the sunset" kind of gal.

24. Are you concerned with spelling and grammar as you write?

I am the grammar police. I'm packin' guns, flashin' my badge, and taking names.

25. Does music help you write?

No, music doesn't help me write. I need silence.

26. Quote something you've written. Whatever pops into your head

The last couple of lines of a poem...

and above me there are clouds
spelling out that He's alive.
With a sigh I rise from prostrate,
hey, look, so am I.

Comments

Travener said…
Am I supposed to answer the same questions? How this tagging thing to be working?
Yes, you are supposed to answer the same questions. I mean, if you want to do it.

I just copied and pasted from Tina's post and erased her answers and filled mine in.

Then, you can chose two other people to complete the exercise.

If you wanna.
carissajaded said…
Interesting. But now I must apologize for my shitty grammar! Thanks for reading anyway!
Tina Lynn said…
Um...I think it would have been interesting if you would have copied and pasted an left my answers. People would have been like, "What the...???" :)
MJenks said…
You can't write with music? I can't write without it, or some other kind of white noise.
@ Carissa - You aren't bad in the grammar deparment. Are you? Well, I never noticed! I would read you regardless.

@ Tina - hahahaha.

@ Mjenks - Well, I can't concentrate with music, but white noise of somesort is good. I usually turn on the tv and put the volume on a minimal level... but it has to be tuned to a very boring show, like the View or something.

Popular posts from this blog

Closing Arguments, Trial 3. The Defense: Closing the Case of Adnan Syed v Alice LaCour and Brett Talley

  Would Hae Have Liked Pineapple on Pizza? If it Pleases the Court... Ladies and Gentlemen of the jury, I want to start by thanking you for your time. It is no small task to put your lives on hold and focus in on the details and particulars and specifics of this case, and it may be a struggle to focus when you have to think about what you're missing at home. Your civil duty - and your willingness to fulfill it - does NOT go unnoticed. I mentioned "time." It's a relative, term, right? I had to wait in line at the post office for 15 minutes. I waited for the checkout gal at Wal-Mart for 20, because they didn't have enough lanes open. I don't know about you, but I try to be patient. Sometimes I fail to wait gracefully, but I really do try.  So. Look at Adnan. For over TWENTY-THREE YEARS he has been waiting... patiently. 23 years ago, I was about the same age as Adnan. I graduated high school in the spring of 1999, just like he did - or would have - had he not bee

20 Points in a Basic Story in the Botched Case Against Adnan Syed: I Must Be Insane as that's 5x More than any Other Basic Story Presentation I've Ever Seen

  Basic Story With 20 Points:  Could Adnan be Innocent? "It's not a cop-out; it's case law." ~Bob Ruff, host, Truth and Justice Pod   1 Adnan was the main suspect - Hae's family passed that along to Officer Adcock on the afternoon she disappeared. Originally, they suspected she might be with Don, even though she had to work at 6pm and had never once NOT brought her cousin home. Does anyone know how old the second cousin is? Two cousins lived with Hae. And Officer Adcock's Supplemental Report dated 1/13/99 states that Mr. Lee advises that she "did not pick up his two cousins from school.") Did they go to the same school, these cousins? Another question that could be explored is why Hae's uncle is the only immediately family member who doesn't live with Hae.  Another pain point for me - I'm confused as to why the cousins did not live with their dad, Hae's uncle... but look. Every family has different dynamics. I mean, I gues

Not The Nisha Call: Other Things to Consider in the Case of Adnan Syed

"If there is anything about my case, man - I want to know... I want to test it... There's nothing about my case that that I'm afraid of." - Adnan Syed Serial, Episode 12: What We Knew Instead of focusing on a flower and Jay's Changing Stories, Consider This: A) The policemen handling the Missing Persons Investigation did sloppy and lazy work. They back dated reports and failed to interview multiple people  thoroughly enough. B) The police did not interview the family robustly enough to understand what else might have been going on in Hae's life. They, to my knowledge, did not find a translator and instead relied on the guidance of her younger brother. C) A computer, a floppy disk containing electronic diary entries were noted and later went "missing"  D) Hae's email and AOL Instant Messenger (AIM) accounts were never researched thoroughly, and her online activity is relatively unknown, outside of her newly updated "away message" which s