Skip to main content

outlet. for. pregnancy. hormones. (or, a negative review of Walgreens)

So.

I go to Walgreens pretty often. I used to visit my local Walgreens like every other day, because it was in walking distance from the location where I worked, and was super convenient for a secret smoke break (before pregnancy, thankyouverymuch) or an oft needed mid-day infusion of Munchos or caffeine (uh, also before pregnancy. Well except for the Munchos. I still devour those.)

Anyway, I digress. Sometimes I do that when I tell stories. And when I'm mad.

The people at my Walgreens are almost always really nicespice. This cute old man works there and he has an infectious smile. A cute old lady always mentions it when she has a coupon available for an item in my cart.

I love the checkout people at Walgreens. And I love the elderly.

Usually, the pharmacy staff at my chosen Walgreens are also very helpful, decent human beings. Yeah, they get busy, but they are still awesome.

Except for today.

See, I dropped off a prescription (baby and I are fine, don't worry. Nothing big; I'm not even sick) in the drive thru and went on my merry way. When I came back, I pulled up to the outside drive thru lane. Now, I'm not a huge fan of the outside lane because there isn't a window, and I like a little face time with the service industry. (If I wanted to deal with a pill-o-max or whatever, I would just apply to work with Nurse Jackie.) But, the window-lane was taken, so I decided I would use lane two. Obvi.

I pushed the help button, since sometimes two pharmacy techs work there. I've been there. I know.

Do you want to know what this heinous bleep said to me?

"...helping lane one..."

And that was it. No "I'll be right with you" or "Hi, how are you?"

I. was. livid!

I immediately pretended that I misunderstood and thought lane two was closed. I put my little Vibe (love ya, Bella!) in reverse and got behind the car in lane one. I wanted this little pharmacy skanks name. I wanted her blood. (Well, okay. That's taking it a little far.)

When it was my turn, I couldn't read her name tag because it was hanging sideways off her little Walgreens apron and was kind of hidden in the crevice of her arm.

"Yes?" She had the phone-with-the-microphone resting between her shoulder and her ear. She looked thoroughly bored. She made no eye contact with me.

"Picking up." I decided that two-could-play-this-terse-game.

"Address?"

"35486531 where i live street."

"$10.00." (Score! At least it was cheap.)

I swear I threw my checkcard in that little bin. Then, for good measure, I rolled my eyes. She probably didn't even see me.

When she gave me my medication and receipt, she did not say thank you. She did, for some unknown reason, tell me to have a good day. LIKE SHE CARED.

I decided she deserved NOTHING from me. So, I did not speak. She is cut off. Donespice.

See, the thing is -- I might be a banker, but I work in customer service. We know that people can choose to bank anywhere they want. We always welcome our customers, ask if there is anything else we can assist with, thank them for their business... we always use their names. We always smile and focus on our customers. These things seem second nature to me -- simple. Like breathing. Or like writing about being pissed off at a Walgreens employee who needs a serious attitude adjustment, and could also use highlights.

Comments

:::backs away from the hormonal pregnant lady:::
Unknown said…
I'm with ya. How hard is it to smile and greet a customer? Not hard. I hate mean/bored/impolite people.

But I LOVE Munchos!
RA said…
Oooh, seems your hormones are getting to you, girl! This sort of thing happens. Yes, it shouldn't because they have chosen a service job, but it does... because they are people too. Maybe it was her hormones that were wildly whirring...!! :D
Ashley Stone said…
haha I totally agree, I can't stand rude people. If you are going to work with people, than as a general rule, you should LIKE people.

I laughed so hard when I got to the last line about her hi-lights. haha!!!
Laurel Garver said…
Are you sure they didn't replace their employees with robots? LOL.
K-Tee said…
i could not agree more! good customer service is SOOOOO hard to find now-a-days. i get so mad when i am at a check out and the person spends more time talking to their fellow retailer about their weekend than paying attention to me. their consumer. i am not asking to be their bestie, but come on. have a little courtesy!
Sierra Godfrey said…
I'm so glad you cut her off and were silent in your protest. THAT SHOWED HER!

I cannot believe you didn't make a rude comment. then again, she did have all your personal info at her disposal. I would have called the store and railed at the manager. I've done that before concerning the drive through lane, which one time REFUSED to answer the beep and my revving engine. I WAS FURIOUS at being made to PARK, GET OUT OF MY CAR, and GO IN THE STORE.
Unknown said…
Some people blame it on hormones, but I think I would have reacted the same way to rude people... that's just me though. :)

By the way I have an awesome award for you over at my blog :)
Melissa said…
I totally agree with you. I worked at McDonalds for several years then went on to working in a Hotel. And now I'm training to be a bartender. Everything I've done has been in the hospitality industry. And smiling, greeting customers...is not hard its easy as all heck and I want to wring the necks of jerks in the customer service industry who don't. Honestly, don't think you need to be pregnant or hormonal to feel that way.

But it might be amplified for you...

Popular posts from this blog

Closing Arguments, Trial 3. The Defense: Closing the Case of Adnan Syed v Alice LaCour and Brett Talley

  Would Hae Have Liked Pineapple on Pizza? If it Pleases the Court... Ladies and Gentlemen of the jury, I want to start by thanking you for your time. It is no small task to put your lives on hold and focus in on the details and particulars and specifics of this case, and it may be a struggle to focus when you have to think about what you're missing at home. Your civil duty - and your willingness to fulfill it - does NOT go unnoticed. I mentioned "time." It's a relative, term, right? I had to wait in line at the post office for 15 minutes. I waited for the checkout gal at Wal-Mart for 20, because they didn't have enough lanes open. I don't know about you, but I try to be patient. Sometimes I fail to wait gracefully, but I really do try.  So. Look at Adnan. For over TWENTY-THREE YEARS he has been waiting... patiently. 23 years ago, I was about the same age as Adnan. I graduated high school in the spring of 1999, just like he did - or would have - had he not bee

20 Points in a Basic Story in the Botched Case Against Adnan Syed: I Must Be Insane as that's 5x More than any Other Basic Story Presentation I've Ever Seen

  Basic Story With 20 Points:  Could Adnan be Innocent? "It's not a cop-out; it's case law." ~Bob Ruff, host, Truth and Justice Pod   1 Adnan was the main suspect - Hae's family passed that along to Officer Adcock on the afternoon she disappeared. Originally, they suspected she might be with Don, even though she had to work at 6pm and had never once NOT brought her cousin home. Does anyone know how old the second cousin is? Two cousins lived with Hae. And Officer Adcock's Supplemental Report dated 1/13/99 states that Mr. Lee advises that she "did not pick up his two cousins from school.") Did they go to the same school, these cousins? Another question that could be explored is why Hae's uncle is the only immediately family member who doesn't live with Hae.  Another pain point for me - I'm confused as to why the cousins did not live with their dad, Hae's uncle... but look. Every family has different dynamics. I mean, I gues

Not The Nisha Call: Other Things to Consider in the Case of Adnan Syed

"If there is anything about my case, man - I want to know... I want to test it... There's nothing about my case that that I'm afraid of." - Adnan Syed Serial, Episode 12: What We Knew Instead of focusing on a flower and Jay's Changing Stories, Consider This: A) The policemen handling the Missing Persons Investigation did sloppy and lazy work. They back dated reports and failed to interview multiple people  thoroughly enough. B) The police did not interview the family robustly enough to understand what else might have been going on in Hae's life. They, to my knowledge, did not find a translator and instead relied on the guidance of her younger brother. C) A computer, a floppy disk containing electronic diary entries were noted and later went "missing"  D) Hae's email and AOL Instant Messenger (AIM) accounts were never researched thoroughly, and her online activity is relatively unknown, outside of her newly updated "away message" which s