Skip to main content

bloomington christmas

I miss the days when my Mammaw used to come down to Louisville, Kentucky for a week in late December. I miss her sitting in the rocking chair at my mom and dad's house drinking her coffee in her deep purple robe and matching slippers. Despite missing the way things used to be, I am mostly just thankful to still have her in our lives, even if we have to go visit her these days. She refuses to move from Indiana to Kentucky to be closer to us, even though my mom is her only child. I guess I know who passed on the stubborn gene to me.


The little one in the middle is my four year old niece, Carley. She is currently obsessed with that GAP kids commercial, you know, "We want comfy sweaters!" and "How cute are these boots?!" Clearly, I'm getting her a sweater and cute suede boots (with tassels!) for Christmas, and I'm going to learn the song in the commercial so we can perform it together on Christmas Day. (Formal Attire/ Officially Retired!... I've got a ways to go.)


The little bundle of joy in Mammaw's arms is my six month old nephew, Clayton. He seems to be enjoying his first Christmas season, even though my sister did try to lop off his finger with nailclippers Sunday morning. If you peer closely at that tiny thumb, you'll see a band-aid. My sister cried. She felt horrible. Clayton bled, but he was a trooper. Someday, IF I have children, I am sure I will harm them in some way. At that time I shall allow my sister to verbally slaughter me.


I love my new purple scarf, a gift from one of my favorite coworkers who went to India this fall to visit her family. Also, my hair looks pretty in this picture. Doesn't it?



Comments

carissajaded said…
Awww your mammaw is adorable!! I think when people get older they get more stubborn with every year. I also really like your purple scarf. I have been looking for one. Must be purple.
Jm Diaz said…
There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with being stubborn. GO ahead, say otherwise!

And nice scarf.. I like scarfs ;)
jayme said…
just ONE of your favorites because I'M OBVI your favorite.

DOYSPICE.
Anonymous said…
love the scarf....and yes your hair looks fab. LOL! Ran across you on QT when I was skulking around and followed you here...now I put you on my following list. Have a great holiday!
Roni Loren said…
Those baby nail clippers are a b*tch. After making my son bleed once, I asked the doc for tips. She said to just clip the very edge to get it started then peel the nail across. That works.

And super cute scarf. Have a great holiday!
@ Carissa - don't you just love that purple came back last fall? This year it's all peace signs and plaid. I'm sticking with purple.

@ JM - True, being stubborn is sort of an asset... sticking to ones guns and what not.

@ Jayme - OBVI!

@ Sharla - Welcome! Thanks for following and commenting. QT seems so awesome. I can't wait until I'm really ready to start using it to query.

@ Roni - I will pass along the tip to my sister. Happy Holidays to you as well.
Melissa Hurst said…
I actually know someone who refused to cut her baby's fingernails because of this. Instead, she bit them off. Gross!!!

Love the scarf:)
Anonymous said…
Purple is the color of royalty, of course.
Tina Lynn said…
Amber, you are an absolute doll! And I was told to clip the nails while the babies slept. It really helped:)
jdsanc said…
Hey, I bit the nails off. So much easier, and no bleeding. And yes, also when they were sleeping. And, love the hair and the scarf, what a look to go into the holidays with!

Happy holidays!!
Karilynnlove said…
Mammaw is so sweet! Your blessed to have her with you! I know my Mammy is keeping tabs on me from somewhere!
Merry Christmas!
Iva Messy said…
so super cute!! Merry Christmas to you and yours!!

Popular posts from this blog

fetal friday?

I know that I left everyone hanging yesterday. You know, when I went to pee on that stick. (That was mean of me. Not the peeing, but the leaving hanging.) Well, I think the big reveal is best expressed in letter form. Deep breath. Here goes. dear unborn baby daughter son or daughter, I take it back. I take back everything I said about not wanting kids. I was just scaredspice, and the slightest bit selfish, and maybe I had a giant fear of commitment. But, three positive test results in the last eighteen hours seem to say that you actually are in there, getting all comfy. I guess you'll probably be here in mid-December. I never thought about having a Christmas baby. (You've really put a wrench in my whole taking-maternity-leave-during-the-NCAA-tournament plan, but that's okay. At least it's basketball season. Don't tell Daddy yet, but you are going to cheer for the Indiana Hoosiers.) Speaking of Daddy, I take back all the mean things I've ever sa...

Last Call: John O'Keefe's Journey from Waterfall to Fairview (12:11:09am - 12:21:09)

I tend to bury the lead, so let me say this up front: I won't get to any of it in this post, but by 12:24:22am on January 29, 2022, John O'Keefe had arrived at 34 Fairview, gone into the house, been incapacitated, and had been dragged down the two short flights of stairs down to the basement, and up the stairs to and through the bulkhead door.  Yes. All of this happened by 12:24:22am. And here's how I started my research this week to figure it out: When I decided to look at timeline, I didn't think I'd spend all my free time in an entire DAY focusing on the short time frame of 12:11am - 12:21:09. I wanted to go "back to the start" (shoutout to Coldplay!) and figure out what the time discrepancy was really all about. I started with steps: Hyde (report) 12:11:09 - 12:21:09 170 steps 326 feet Guarino (testimony) 12:11:09 – 12:21:05 170 steps 326 feet Whiffin (report) ...

a little ashamed

I've been feeling a little guilty lately. I think I'm sort of obsessed with my own blog. Seriously, I adore coming home for lunch in the middle of my workday. My plan is always to sit down and write. It's the perfect time to work. There are no distractions (other than the hungry rumble in my tummy) or reasons that I shouldn't be able to churn out a good amount of words before I head back to the world of checking account deposits and cash-in tickets. However, I find that when I come home for lunch, all I want to do is blog. My reader is full as a good girl's Christmas stocking, and then there's my own post -- just waiting to be written. Something alarmingly witty, for sure. Something that will generate the multiple comments I will hungrily read from my cell phone when I sneak out for a cigarette break at 4:00. So, I avoid the writing -- you know, of the fiction variety. I sit here, instead watching the text fill the blank screen of a New Po...