Skip to main content

TMI Thursday: Liar, Liar

TMI Thursday
Seriously, it has just been one of those days. I want to regale you with something witty and whatnot, but I just don't have the energy today, so don't expect anything too earth shaking.

Here goes:

When I was in the fourth grade, I had a friend named Tina. Tina told me she was a model, and that she had a boyfriend who was in college and that he was also her photographer.

I told her that I was a model, and that I also had a boyfriend who was in college and was my photographer.

I thought she was lying, I thought she knew I was lying. I thought she knew that I thought she was lying. (Et cetera. I told you this post was going to be uber stupid.)

So, Tina and I would talk on the phone after school pretty much every single day, and one day I told her that Trevor (oh, that was my fake boyfriends fake name) was at my house and that she could talk to him if she wanted. She wanted to, so I was all, "Hang on, he's in the other room, let me get him."

Then I disguised my voice and and had a full conversation with Tina as a boy who didn't even exist.

After Trevor "left my house" that evening, I called Tina back to chat some more. We talked about how much we loved our (pedophile) boyfriends, and what we wanted to do to confess our undying devotion to them. We decided that tattoos would be appropriate, and she said the boys should take us to get them together. Now, since Trevor was fictional, I knew that I was going to have to come up with a plan so that Tina wouldn't discover the truth, since it was starting to seem that she thought this whole charade was serious.

The next morning before school, I rummaged through the junk drawer and found a blue marker. I wrote I LOVE TREVOR in capital letters on the bottom of my foot.. I was just going to tell Tina that I went ahead and got the tattoo without her, and I would show her the evidence on the sole of my bare foot, which was where all the hard core eight year olds got tattoos, of course.

That night, after my evening bath (I took a bath at night, because I was an eight year old little kid, remember?) I was in my pajamas eating ice cream in the living room when my parents noticed my artwork.

"What's on the bottom of your foot?" my dad wanted to know.
"Nothing."
"No, seriously. There's something blue on your foot. Let me see."
"No."
"Did you write something on your foot?" My father was understandably confused.
"No, I think that it might be..." Yeah, I had nothing. I couldn't even come up with a plausible lie. I just knew that there was no way I was admitting to this. There would be explaining to do, explanations about who Trevor was and uh, was not. It was really just far too embarrassing. "Actually, I don't know what it is. I have no idea."
"So, you're saying that you did not write something on your foot, and that you have no idea what it is that is on your foot at this present time."
"That's what I am saying."

My dad wasn't mad that I had blue marker on my foot. It was the lying about it that got me into trouble. He told me I had three choices. I could admit what I had done, go get a belt out of his closet, or be grounded for some certain number of days.

I chose the belt. I went into his closet and grabbed one.

When I came back, he gave me a pitiful look, shook his head, and told me to go to my room. I had chosen the thickest leather belt in his closet. I didn't realize it would have hurt the most, because I had never been spanked.

To this day, my father has never spanked me, but still loves to bring up the time I lied, just because I gave myself a fake tattoo about a fake boyfriend and was too chicken to come clean about it.

Comments

Shandal said…
What a cute story! I don't have any fun stories like that!
Travener said…
Yes, a cute story. I missed the part about it being in fourth grade at first and thought that eventually it'd turn out that your friend really *was* a model and there'd be all sorts of embarassing nudity and stuff but then I saw that it was eight-year-olds and...I finally understood why you said the boyfriends were pedophiles. Seriously the version I had going in my head would fit right into a YA novel. I think.
Roni Loren said…
lol, the things we do to impress our friends when we're little.
Deb Markanton said…
Amber...laughing out loud!!
Yeah, it was a pretty tame (or, lame) TMI this week, but I am glad that it still got a few laughs.

It WAS a cute story, wasn't it?

*shakes head* I was a weird kid.
rachaelgking said…
Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww. That is so freaking CUTE! I'm sure I found myself in a zillion similar situations... our poor parents!
Tina Lynn said…
That wasn't lame at all. I think fourth grade Amber was adorable:)

Popular posts from this blog

Closing Arguments, Trial 3. The Defense: Closing the Case of Adnan Syed v Alice LaCour and Brett Talley

  Would Hae Have Liked Pineapple on Pizza? If it Pleases the Court... Ladies and Gentlemen of the jury, I want to start by thanking you for your time. It is no small task to put your lives on hold and focus in on the details and particulars and specifics of this case, and it may be a struggle to focus when you have to think about what you're missing at home. Your civil duty - and your willingness to fulfill it - does NOT go unnoticed. I mentioned "time." It's a relative, term, right? I had to wait in line at the post office for 15 minutes. I waited for the checkout gal at Wal-Mart for 20, because they didn't have enough lanes open. I don't know about you, but I try to be patient. Sometimes I fail to wait gracefully, but I really do try.  So. Look at Adnan. For over TWENTY-THREE YEARS he has been waiting... patiently. 23 years ago, I was about the same age as Adnan. I graduated high school in the spring of 1999, just like he did - or would have - had he not bee

20 Points in a Basic Story in the Botched Case Against Adnan Syed: I Must Be Insane as that's 5x More than any Other Basic Story Presentation I've Ever Seen

  Basic Story With 20 Points:  Could Adnan be Innocent? "It's not a cop-out; it's case law." ~Bob Ruff, host, Truth and Justice Pod   1 Adnan was the main suspect - Hae's family passed that along to Officer Adcock on the afternoon she disappeared. Originally, they suspected she might be with Don, even though she had to work at 6pm and had never once NOT brought her cousin home. Does anyone know how old the second cousin is? Two cousins lived with Hae. And Officer Adcock's Supplemental Report dated 1/13/99 states that Mr. Lee advises that she "did not pick up his two cousins from school.") Did they go to the same school, these cousins? Another question that could be explored is why Hae's uncle is the only immediately family member who doesn't live with Hae.  Another pain point for me - I'm confused as to why the cousins did not live with their dad, Hae's uncle... but look. Every family has different dynamics. I mean, I gues

Not The Nisha Call: Other Things to Consider in the Case of Adnan Syed

"If there is anything about my case, man - I want to know... I want to test it... There's nothing about my case that that I'm afraid of." - Adnan Syed Serial, Episode 12: What We Knew Instead of focusing on a flower and Jay's Changing Stories, Consider This: A) The policemen handling the Missing Persons Investigation did sloppy and lazy work. They back dated reports and failed to interview multiple people  thoroughly enough. B) The police did not interview the family robustly enough to understand what else might have been going on in Hae's life. They, to my knowledge, did not find a translator and instead relied on the guidance of her younger brother. C) A computer, a floppy disk containing electronic diary entries were noted and later went "missing"  D) Hae's email and AOL Instant Messenger (AIM) accounts were never researched thoroughly, and her online activity is relatively unknown, outside of her newly updated "away message" which s