Skip to main content

mornings plus me do not equal love

Good morning.

(No, I'm lying. It's not a good morning. This morning seriously sucks.)

(Don't mind me, that's the tired talking.)

I am just not used to this new schedule yet. Before yesterday, I could not tell you the last time I left my house before 9:00 in the morning. I'm sure those of you with kids or other early morning responsibilities are singing Cry Me a River in Justin Timberlake's beautiful falsetto even as you read this. Which is fair, I guess.

I mean, it's my fault you had babies.

Just kidding, friends. Pausespice to make coffee so to summon the nice amber...

And... here she is.

So, yesterday morning was a bit easier than today. I guess there was the novelty of the darkness that greeted me when I rolled out of bed at 6:30 and rushed through a blog post. Hubs, who had gotten his shower Monday night, crawled back into bed for a few minutes, so I had the peace and quiet of the house, my coffee (all I had to do was push the start button!) and more of the kind of moring I am used to. When I got in the shower at 7:30 7:35, I had fourty-five minutes to carefully straighten my hair, apply my make-up, and look smashing(ish) when I left the house at 8:15 8:20. I made it downtown with mere seconds to spare.

This morning has been a cluster fudge compared to all that. Hubs did not get a shower last night. We spent the earliest moments of this morning on the couch next to each other. He had claimed the laptop. I didn't care. I hate blogging with him next to me anyway.

So, 6:55. I went ahead and got in the shower.
7:10, hair in towel turban and pj's back on: started this post while hubs got in the shower (and didn't even grumble about how I used all the hot water, which I am pretty sure I did.)
7:20, started the coffee, aimed the blow dryer at my hair, brushed my teeth, put the ass end of some moisturizer from a bottle onto my face.
7:35, sat back down to finish post with my coffee in hand as hubs "hustled" around the house to get out the door.
7:54, currently sitting here composing this drivel.

Yeah. Two things.

First, why did I carefully straighten my hair and apply make-up yesterday? Are they going to expect more of the same today?

Secondly, I am aware that the majority of modern marriages end in divorce. I'm curious -- of those that do -- how many of those couples were forced to share one laptop and one bathroom? Seriously. Someone should do a study.

Eek. I need to leave in fifteen minutes. But, let's be honest.

I probably won't be out the door for at least another twenty.

(Update - 8:25 a.m. and officially running late, I realized I published this post without a title. Clearly, I signed back in to remedy the situation, and now I'm going to drive like a bat outta hell to make it downtown on time. Clearly.)

Comments

Ashley Stone said…
sounds like a typical morning at my house!! I'm never out of the house before 9....usually more like 10. I feel your pain.
Jm Diaz said…
What? you blog in the AM BEFORE work? I can't even speak that early, much less type.... I'm up by 6:45am... but with all the morning driving I do, I'm not in the office until 9:30ish...
carissajaded said…
I can't do anything in the morning, much less blog. My posts are always written in the wee hours of the night, when I should be sleeping.. which is why I'm pretty much useless in the mornings. Major props to you!!
Travener said…
No good can come from waking up in the morning. Better the afternoon.
Oh my! Good luck catching back up with the day.
Tina Lynn said…
Latespice! That's me. It drives the boss crazy, but I ask myself, "Does he want well-rested Tina? Or stay-away-or-you-may-get-your-head-bitten-off Tina?" Yeah. I can guess the answer to that question, so I sleep in:D
Melissa Hurst said…
I must have the only husband on the planet who doesn't like to surf the net. Lucky me:)

And I'm late everywhere I go. Getting the kids to school, doctor appointments, etc. I don't discriminate.
Sassy said…
I'm always running late. A few weeks ago, I had to get up at 4:30 AM to get to work by 6. SERIOUSLY!! I ended up being early every day.

I am not a morning person.

And yet, when I have to get up super duper early, I arrive early.
@ ashley - thanks for the empathy!

@ JM - yeah, lately I blog in the am. I used to blog at lunchtime. thooose were the days...

@ carissa - i've considered becoming one of those gals who writes posts at night and schedules them for the next day, but that requires planning ahead...

@ trav - agree! better to wake at noon and stay up until four in the morning. nothing exciting happens between four and noon.

@ jon arntson - thanks, and thanks for stopping by my blog today.

@ tina - but you shouldn't be latespice for work. it might piss off the ghosts!

@ melissa - lucky! i wish i had put my christmas money toward a second laptop. :(

@ sassy - hmm. when i wake up super dooper early, i am still late! thanks for stopping by. maybe your punctuality will rub off on me!
Myrna Foster said…
I have three kiddos, but I'm still not a morning person.

Babies are fun.
jayme said…
bad news: tonight's postsecret event in kentucky is sold out.

terriblespice.

& i still miss you spice.
Stopping by from another blog we both read!

First, love the pictures of you in your wedding gown. It's so classic! Where's it from?

Second, I do have kids, and haven't slept in in who knows how long... but I can honestly say it's never a "good" morning for me either. I could ALWAYS turn off my alarm and roll right over and go back to bed!

~Elizabeth
Confessions From A Working Mom

Popular posts from this blog

Closing Arguments, Trial 3. The Defense: Closing the Case of Adnan Syed v Alice LaCour and Brett Talley

  Would Hae Have Liked Pineapple on Pizza? If it Pleases the Court... Ladies and Gentlemen of the jury, I want to start by thanking you for your time. It is no small task to put your lives on hold and focus in on the details and particulars and specifics of this case, and it may be a struggle to focus when you have to think about what you're missing at home. Your civil duty - and your willingness to fulfill it - does NOT go unnoticed. I mentioned "time." It's a relative, term, right? I had to wait in line at the post office for 15 minutes. I waited for the checkout gal at Wal-Mart for 20, because they didn't have enough lanes open. I don't know about you, but I try to be patient. Sometimes I fail to wait gracefully, but I really do try.  So. Look at Adnan. For over TWENTY-THREE YEARS he has been waiting... patiently. 23 years ago, I was about the same age as Adnan. I graduated high school in the spring of 1999, just like he did - or would have - had he not bee

20 Points in a Basic Story in the Botched Case Against Adnan Syed: I Must Be Insane as that's 5x More than any Other Basic Story Presentation I've Ever Seen

  Basic Story With 20 Points:  Could Adnan be Innocent? "It's not a cop-out; it's case law." ~Bob Ruff, host, Truth and Justice Pod   1 Adnan was the main suspect - Hae's family passed that along to Officer Adcock on the afternoon she disappeared. Originally, they suspected she might be with Don, even though she had to work at 6pm and had never once NOT brought her cousin home. Does anyone know how old the second cousin is? Two cousins lived with Hae. And Officer Adcock's Supplemental Report dated 1/13/99 states that Mr. Lee advises that she "did not pick up his two cousins from school.") Did they go to the same school, these cousins? Another question that could be explored is why Hae's uncle is the only immediately family member who doesn't live with Hae.  Another pain point for me - I'm confused as to why the cousins did not live with their dad, Hae's uncle... but look. Every family has different dynamics. I mean, I gues

Not The Nisha Call: Other Things to Consider in the Case of Adnan Syed

"If there is anything about my case, man - I want to know... I want to test it... There's nothing about my case that that I'm afraid of." - Adnan Syed Serial, Episode 12: What We Knew Instead of focusing on a flower and Jay's Changing Stories, Consider This: A) The policemen handling the Missing Persons Investigation did sloppy and lazy work. They back dated reports and failed to interview multiple people  thoroughly enough. B) The police did not interview the family robustly enough to understand what else might have been going on in Hae's life. They, to my knowledge, did not find a translator and instead relied on the guidance of her younger brother. C) A computer, a floppy disk containing electronic diary entries were noted and later went "missing"  D) Hae's email and AOL Instant Messenger (AIM) accounts were never researched thoroughly, and her online activity is relatively unknown, outside of her newly updated "away message" which s