Skip to main content

video killed the radio star

I got to be live and on the air on a local radio station today!

(It was really exciting.)

Here's what happened:

When I left my house at 7:50 this morning there was maybe a quarter inch of snow on the ground. It was my first day at my new bank branch, and I needed to be there at 8:15. It's really only a ten minute drive at the most, but I allowed extra time like any responsible, ready-to-look-good new employee would and should.

Well, the roads. were. horrible. Apparently, salt that was put down didn't stick because there wasn't really much snow on the ground for it to stick to. Falling temperatures caused flash freezing and black ice.

When I pulled out of my neighborhood, vehicles were stopped in both directions -- a solid line of cars, like interstate rush hour -- on what is normally a two-lane highway with a very average amount of traffic.

I take a right turn out of my neighborhood (as you well know, from the time I almost died pulling out several weeks ago in icy conditions) and about 100 yards away there is a stoplight. (The road there is called Murphy Lane... how cool is that, son?!)

So. There's me in front of my neighborhood. There is a stoplight 100 yards away.

It took me one hour to get to that stoplight. You read that right. One hour to drive one hundred yards. (Well, hubs says it's 100 yards. All I can say is that going the opposite direction on my way home tonight, I counted from one-thousand-one to one-thousand-twenty in the time it took me to go that same distance.)

Anyway, people were calling in to the radio station, 102.3 The Max (the 90's and today!) to talk about where they were and what they were seeing on the roadways, so duhspice. I called. I was sitting still with my foot on the brake. I'd already talked to my mom four times and my husband six times. I was boredspice.

And it rang! And then they answered!

(Oh, and by the way, Lambert and Lindsey, the morning team, said that you had to describe where you were sitting as a "hot mess.")

So, when George Lambert answered... well, here's a loose transcript:


Lambert: Goooood morning!

Amber: Goooood morning!!!!

Lambert: You sound like you're either in a really good mood or like you're about to kill someone. Who's this?

Amber: This is Amber, and I guess I am in a good mood, it's just that I. am. not. moving.

Lambert: Where you at?

Amber: I am at the hot mess that is the intersection of Highway 22 and Murphy Lane. It is worse than stop and go. I have been on the road for over an hour and have only moved one hundred yards.

Lambert: Ohhh, that sucks. Can you see what is going on around you? Is there a wreck?

Amber: No, I can't tell. But cars are sliding around everywhere, and I see an ambulance up way... so maybe they are clearing up a wreck? I don't know. But it's my first day at my new job, and I am over an hour late!

Lambert: Do you want us to call your new boss for you?!

Amber: Nah, I'm good. He's not there yet either!!

Lambert: Do you want to give a shout out to where you work?

Amber: I don't think I'm allowed. I think it's against the rules.

(I totally wanted to, obviously. I was tempted! But, because I work in a bank, we are not supposed to talk to the media about it... and stuff.)

Lambert: Okay! Thanks for calling!!


So, yeah.

I was on the radio.

Whoa-oh-oh.

On the radio.

Comments

saucyminx410 said…
Driving this time of year is my worst nightmare! You at least found a good way to pass the time I would have been busy freaking out about it and trying to figure if I could pull a U-y and head for home.
@ Saucy: I think I was reading your post while you were reading mine! Funny. Anyway, I wish I had an i-phone so I could have blogged while I was stuck... but then I guess I wouldn't have been... on the radio. (Whoa-oh-oh.) :)
Travener said…
How long were you stuck in traffic overall? I hate when that happens. You feel like a prisoner.
Ashley Stone said…
You live super close to me!
I've been stuck in traffic on Long Island and see people reading books. Maybe that's why were weren't moving, duh.
I would have been so stressed out by being late that I probably would have picked every piece of dust out of the center console. That's who I am, pickyspice.
Nah, only you can pull off the spice.
Shandal said…
I would have been in a superpissyspice mood! Seriously! I do not miss commutes to work, especially during bad weather. I believe 4 hours was my longest drive home from work. It's normally a 30min drive. Ya, over that Sh@t! That's pretty cool you got on the radio though! :)
Natalie Murphy said…
Neato keano!!!!

And yes. Murphys rock.

We really do.
carissajaded said…
How fun!! I LOVE being on the radio. I'm sorry you got stuck in traffic for so long though!!
dolorah said…
But; you were on the radio. And contrary to popular belief; not everyoneis given their 15 seconds of fame just for calling.

Did you have a Kindle? A Sony reader? At least an iPhone to blog and read on Kindle aps and keep up with the news?

Uh huh. Long time ago; I traveled about 15 feet in rush hour traffic on the Beltway (just outside DC) in 90 minutes. Traffic. During that wait, I read the mail I'd picked up the day before and my Mom complained about waiting through two cycles of a street light in down town Oroville Calif. Took her ten extra minutes to get home during rush hour.

Perspective

.............shole
@ Trav - it took me just under two hours overall to get to my new bank branch. It normally is a ten minute drive TOPS.

@ Ashley - Well, I hope you didn't have to drive up 22 yesterday morning!

@ Madwoman - I liked pickyspice! You can do spice, too. :)

@ Shandal - FOUR hours?! OMG. Traffic jams blow chunks.

@ Natalie - Goooo Murphy's!

@ Carissa - I wish they had asked me to "name that tune" or something. Being on the radio was fun, but is second to karaoke.

@ DHole - The only thing electronic I had with me was a basic cell with no internet. (I don't know why it won't connect... I should have internet access on it!) I was mad that I didn't even have my checkbook with me, because I could have gotten it caught up and balanced!
jayme said…
i was once on the radio when i was like 9 and totally requested hanson. i rockspice.
Jeney Peney said…
Haha! That's awesome! :-)

A radio station in Chicago does this thing called "Your Request Sucks" and I got through with a request for the Pee Wee's Playhouse Theme Song...

Kinda rocked my socks.
Chantel said…
Youre too funny. I love your blog!
Jm Diaz said…
i HATE traffic. Well, maybe hate is too strong of a word.
No,
I fucking HATE traffic.... I have to deal with it WAAY too much.

Congrats on your on-air moment. Should've plugged your blog.

I'm just sayin'

JD

Popular posts from this blog

Closing Arguments, Trial 3. The Defense: Closing the Case of Adnan Syed v Alice LaCour and Brett Talley

  Would Hae Have Liked Pineapple on Pizza? If it Pleases the Court... Ladies and Gentlemen of the jury, I want to start by thanking you for your time. It is no small task to put your lives on hold and focus in on the details and particulars and specifics of this case, and it may be a struggle to focus when you have to think about what you're missing at home. Your civil duty - and your willingness to fulfill it - does NOT go unnoticed. I mentioned "time." It's a relative, term, right? I had to wait in line at the post office for 15 minutes. I waited for the checkout gal at Wal-Mart for 20, because they didn't have enough lanes open. I don't know about you, but I try to be patient. Sometimes I fail to wait gracefully, but I really do try.  So. Look at Adnan. For over TWENTY-THREE YEARS he has been waiting... patiently. 23 years ago, I was about the same age as Adnan. I graduated high school in the spring of 1999, just like he did - or would have - had he not bee

20 Points in a Basic Story in the Botched Case Against Adnan Syed: I Must Be Insane as that's 5x More than any Other Basic Story Presentation I've Ever Seen

  Basic Story With 20 Points:  Could Adnan be Innocent? "It's not a cop-out; it's case law." ~Bob Ruff, host, Truth and Justice Pod   1 Adnan was the main suspect - Hae's family passed that along to Officer Adcock on the afternoon she disappeared. Originally, they suspected she might be with Don, even though she had to work at 6pm and had never once NOT brought her cousin home. Does anyone know how old the second cousin is? Two cousins lived with Hae. And Officer Adcock's Supplemental Report dated 1/13/99 states that Mr. Lee advises that she "did not pick up his two cousins from school.") Did they go to the same school, these cousins? Another question that could be explored is why Hae's uncle is the only immediately family member who doesn't live with Hae.  Another pain point for me - I'm confused as to why the cousins did not live with their dad, Hae's uncle... but look. Every family has different dynamics. I mean, I gues

Not The Nisha Call: Other Things to Consider in the Case of Adnan Syed

"If there is anything about my case, man - I want to know... I want to test it... There's nothing about my case that that I'm afraid of." - Adnan Syed Serial, Episode 12: What We Knew Instead of focusing on a flower and Jay's Changing Stories, Consider This: A) The policemen handling the Missing Persons Investigation did sloppy and lazy work. They back dated reports and failed to interview multiple people  thoroughly enough. B) The police did not interview the family robustly enough to understand what else might have been going on in Hae's life. They, to my knowledge, did not find a translator and instead relied on the guidance of her younger brother. C) A computer, a floppy disk containing electronic diary entries were noted and later went "missing"  D) Hae's email and AOL Instant Messenger (AIM) accounts were never researched thoroughly, and her online activity is relatively unknown, outside of her newly updated "away message" which s