Skip to main content

everything but the kitchen sink

Yesterday, I made a promise.

I promised my husband that I would do the dishes tonight.

This is not awesome. The sink is full to overflowing and I have a sneaking suspicion that the majority of the
dishes and utensils may be best described as crusty. The predicament is that I have not done dishes in um, over a week.

Granted, that's only 4 or so actual meals in the Murphy household. Typically, we eat at least one frozen pizza per week, which requires minimal cleanup. We never cook breakfast (unless it's at dinner time!) and when I do come home for lunch, I heat up something lean-cuisine-ish and dirty only a fork. Then there are the nights -- like tonight -- when I bring home Qboda and chew away stress.

(Chicken nachos > antidepressants.)

I'm procrastinating... there are several items that are daunting me more than a little: there's a casserole dish from shepherd's pie which is soaking at the bottom of the sink like long-buried treasure, certain to be algae-ed with mold by now. When did we have that Shepherd's Pie? Was it really so long ago that I can't remember? And why was there only A1 to put on top of it instead of S&P? No matter, it was still really yummy. (Hubs wears the kiss the cook apron in this house.) (I wear the pants.)

Moving on:

There are peanut-butter encrusted spoons from numerous snack-times (hubs) and an eclectic mountain of coffee mugs (me) stained tobacco brown from my morning and evening coffee addiction. (Worth it. I will scrub at those watery brown stains and not care in the least if they never completely rub out.)

There is certian to be a skillet or two, greasy from our Saturday afternoon omelets or curled with the cream of a frozen chicken alfredo dinner of yore.

Two pots aren't even in the sink -- there's no room in the inn. Instead, they flank the sink like bookends, filled up with semi-soapy water and the leftover chunks of spaghetti sauce (left of sink) and somethingmysterious (on the right.)

A glass casserole dish from last night's pork ribs, bottom coated with some fatty, congealed, meat-mush which looks lardy, isn't even soaking. God, help me.

I'm off to unload the dishwasher and then to face the rancid, sticky plates and bowls which once housed the meals lovingly prepared for me.

(The real reason I've procrastinated all week and let the dishes pile up? Hubs did them last week. I think it was the same evening he made the shepherd's pie. He said to me, "We really need to start keeping up with the dishes better than we have been." Since I'm supposed to do the dishes, I knew that by we he meant me.)

(Not doing them all week was my passive-aggressive way off telling him where to stick it.)

Comments

Roni Loren said…
lol, I am so passive aggressive when it comes to housework comments, too. And I just finished doing the dishes, so I feel your pain. Peanut butter spoons were lurking in my pile too. Good luck!
Travener said…
One word: dishwasher.
Melissa Hurst said…
LOL! And to think, I just finished my dishes! Good luck with yours - sounds like you're gonna be there a while:)
Tina Lynn said…
See...this is why I had kids. I make Sam do the dishes. My only job is to bark at her constantly until she lifts herself from behind her (computer, sketchbook, current WiP) and does them. Ah...I'm so glad I married young and now have minions to do my housework bidding.

Of course, her passive aggressive response is to leave a greasy film on pots and pans (so that I have to redo them), conveniently forget to run the dishwasher (so that I have to quickly wash a few things so my two younger ones can have breakfast), and putting them away in such a disorganized fashion that I get buried in a pile of clattering pots and pans (or tupperware) whenever I need to get something out.

Grrr...
V said…
I love this line:
"(Not doing them all week was my passive-aggressive way off telling him where to stick it.)"

That's exactly what I did and now I'm divorced. I can do the dishes any which way I please now! LOL!
Shandal said…
Goodness... I bet you would've gone a few more days if you had anymore clean pots and pans left to cook with! ;P Haha!
Elliott said…
The dishwasher truly is a godsend, before that the dishes would pile up until we needed one thing, and we'd wash that one thing (fallout from both of us being forced into indentured servitude washing dishes in our parents' homes as children). There are no 'turns' in our house, I cook so often times I just need to load the dishwasher just to have counter space. Wouldn't be quite so bad if they hadn't installed the dishwasher right next to the stove.
jayme said…
despite using the word "crusty", i'm still hungry after reading about all the food you ate.

chicken nachos = ilovemylifespice.

ps we totes got five guys for lunch today. imfatterthancreynoldsspice.
Elana Johnson said…
Grr... I hate that kind of comment! My DH does it too. Gotta love 'em, right?

And I lived for 8 years without a dishwasher, so I really feel your pain.
All,

Sadly, I already have a dishwasher!

I realize that it sounds like I do not.

I was raised that you scrub off the ick before loading the dishwasher, so the dirty gets clean.
Elliott said…
I read that correctly and knew you had a dishwasher. However, with rare exception (i.e. tuna-casserole-encrusted Pyrex), everything goes in the dishwasher as-is. The joy of modern technology, since they expect us to be lazy about it.

I say give it a shot.
carissajaded said…
I hate doing dishes with a passion. I don't know what I'm going to do in a few weeks when I move out from my gay roomies who always do them. I haven't done them, literally in a year. Sad.
Amalia Dillin said…
You could have just described my kitchen last month-- AND my husband's response to it. (I have since reformed, due to company being present, requiring me to at least PRETEND that I do my chores...)

But man, I'll tell you right now, my pet peeve in life is stuff soaking in the sink with gross water. I can't STAND it. I had to break my husband of the habit when we married! Sticking my hands in that just makes me cringe! yuck!

Popular posts from this blog

Closing Arguments, Trial 3. The Defense: Closing the Case of Adnan Syed v Alice LaCour and Brett Talley

  Would Hae Have Liked Pineapple on Pizza? If it Pleases the Court... Ladies and Gentlemen of the jury, I want to start by thanking you for your time. It is no small task to put your lives on hold and focus in on the details and particulars and specifics of this case, and it may be a struggle to focus when you have to think about what you're missing at home. Your civil duty - and your willingness to fulfill it - does NOT go unnoticed. I mentioned "time." It's a relative, term, right? I had to wait in line at the post office for 15 minutes. I waited for the checkout gal at Wal-Mart for 20, because they didn't have enough lanes open. I don't know about you, but I try to be patient. Sometimes I fail to wait gracefully, but I really do try.  So. Look at Adnan. For over TWENTY-THREE YEARS he has been waiting... patiently. 23 years ago, I was about the same age as Adnan. I graduated high school in the spring of 1999, just like he did - or would have - had he not bee

20 Points in a Basic Story in the Botched Case Against Adnan Syed: I Must Be Insane as that's 5x More than any Other Basic Story Presentation I've Ever Seen

  Basic Story With 20 Points:  Could Adnan be Innocent? "It's not a cop-out; it's case law." ~Bob Ruff, host, Truth and Justice Pod   1 Adnan was the main suspect - Hae's family passed that along to Officer Adcock on the afternoon she disappeared. Originally, they suspected she might be with Don, even though she had to work at 6pm and had never once NOT brought her cousin home. Does anyone know how old the second cousin is? Two cousins lived with Hae. And Officer Adcock's Supplemental Report dated 1/13/99 states that Mr. Lee advises that she "did not pick up his two cousins from school.") Did they go to the same school, these cousins? Another question that could be explored is why Hae's uncle is the only immediately family member who doesn't live with Hae.  Another pain point for me - I'm confused as to why the cousins did not live with their dad, Hae's uncle... but look. Every family has different dynamics. I mean, I gues

Not The Nisha Call: Other Things to Consider in the Case of Adnan Syed

"If there is anything about my case, man - I want to know... I want to test it... There's nothing about my case that that I'm afraid of." - Adnan Syed Serial, Episode 12: What We Knew Instead of focusing on a flower and Jay's Changing Stories, Consider This: A) The policemen handling the Missing Persons Investigation did sloppy and lazy work. They back dated reports and failed to interview multiple people  thoroughly enough. B) The police did not interview the family robustly enough to understand what else might have been going on in Hae's life. They, to my knowledge, did not find a translator and instead relied on the guidance of her younger brother. C) A computer, a floppy disk containing electronic diary entries were noted and later went "missing"  D) Hae's email and AOL Instant Messenger (AIM) accounts were never researched thoroughly, and her online activity is relatively unknown, outside of her newly updated "away message" which s