Skip to main content

InsomniaGate 2023: The Spell Has Been Lifted

Hallelujah and Praise Be to the god of sleep, Hypnos and Somnus. 

I googled those. It's not like I knew them offhand. Don't be impressed.

After a weeks-long battle with the cool-side of the pillow, the dams have broken wide open. My active brain FINALLY told itself, 

"Self?! Your Host Body is getting very sleepy. She's getting veerrrrrry sleepy."

It was in the Car Rider Line at the middle school on Friday afternoon when this sweet symbiosis between body and mind took place. Now, even being there at all was a bit happenstance - my 7th grade daughter ordinarily has volleyball practice and doesn't need a ride home. 

But Friday. O, sweet redemption day and song of my Soul. 

Friday, practice was cancelled: Coach Leah was moving! She's a Prophet! An Annointed one! We particularly feel this way about her when she gives us ample playing time.

So, since I live in Suburbia, there are 4315 moms in line pricking up their kids after school, and sometimes I'm one of them. BUT, I Have the Good Sense to work from home and block my calendar for a full hour so I can sit and "do the Lords' work" from my car and be one of the first to get my kid, peel out of the parking lot, and be home about 4 minutes after the Bell has resounded.

Anyhow. Brethren, let me tell you the tale of the Angel Dozigal Who came to rest on my shoulder while waiting in that line. The sun was warm in the sky and blasting in through my windshield. From my podcast app, the Sweet Sounds of Nora McInerny played like a choir performing a lullaby. 

And then. More than 10 minutes passed. 

I came to, my head pitched forward and hanging as if I was the worst version of Mike Pence in the January 6th of an alternate universe.

My neck creaked complaints. 

I looked around for any hustle and bustle (any witnesses to what had unfolded.) Phew. 

No one had been worried - what if they'd thought I was dead in here? 

Well, now I'm worried - what if I'd been dead in here?

Nap complete.

To be followed by an Altar Call of a 10pm bedtime.

Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

fetal friday?

I know that I left everyone hanging yesterday. You know, when I went to pee on that stick. (That was mean of me. Not the peeing, but the leaving hanging.) Well, I think the big reveal is best expressed in letter form. Deep breath. Here goes. dear unborn baby daughter son or daughter, I take it back. I take back everything I said about not wanting kids. I was just scaredspice, and the slightest bit selfish, and maybe I had a giant fear of commitment. But, three positive test results in the last eighteen hours seem to say that you actually are in there, getting all comfy. I guess you'll probably be here in mid-December. I never thought about having a Christmas baby. (You've really put a wrench in my whole taking-maternity-leave-during-the-NCAA-tournament plan, but that's okay. At least it's basketball season. Don't tell Daddy yet, but you are going to cheer for the Indiana Hoosiers.) Speaking of Daddy, I take back all the mean things I've ever sa...

Last Call: John O'Keefe's Journey from Waterfall to Fairview (12:11:09am - 12:21:09)

I tend to bury the lead, so let me say this up front: I won't get to any of it in this post, but by 12:24:22am on January 29, 2022, John O'Keefe had arrived at 34 Fairview, gone into the house, been incapacitated, and had been dragged down the two short flights of stairs down to the basement, and up the stairs to and through the bulkhead door.  Yes. All of this happened by 12:24:22am. And here's how I started my research this week to figure it out: When I decided to look at timeline, I didn't think I'd spend all my free time in an entire DAY focusing on the short time frame of 12:11am - 12:21:09. I wanted to go "back to the start" (shoutout to Coldplay!) and figure out what the time discrepancy was really all about. I started with steps: Hyde (report) 12:11:09 - 12:21:09 170 steps 326 feet Guarino (testimony) 12:11:09 – 12:21:05 170 steps 326 feet Whiffin (report) ...

a little ashamed

I've been feeling a little guilty lately. I think I'm sort of obsessed with my own blog. Seriously, I adore coming home for lunch in the middle of my workday. My plan is always to sit down and write. It's the perfect time to work. There are no distractions (other than the hungry rumble in my tummy) or reasons that I shouldn't be able to churn out a good amount of words before I head back to the world of checking account deposits and cash-in tickets. However, I find that when I come home for lunch, all I want to do is blog. My reader is full as a good girl's Christmas stocking, and then there's my own post -- just waiting to be written. Something alarmingly witty, for sure. Something that will generate the multiple comments I will hungrily read from my cell phone when I sneak out for a cigarette break at 4:00. So, I avoid the writing -- you know, of the fiction variety. I sit here, instead watching the text fill the blank screen of a New Po...