Skip to main content

Promises to Keep: I'm Gonna Write a Book

Dang! I've just missed celebrating my Blog-iversary with you guys. 

On September 5, 2009, I typed out my first Blog post. Just over 14 years ago today, I became completely enamored with the community the faceless friends I found. Of course, I gravitated toward the hopeful authors like me: Sierra Godfrey, Elana Johnson, Roni Loren. 

We would read, and comment on, each other's posts. We'd hold silly contests with silly prizes.  We would do Ask Me Anything well before AMA's were a thing.

We would encourage one another. We would share our writing.

And sometimes we would share more. 

I can full-on remember that weekday. I worked as a Head Teller, and my bank branch location was close to home. Before lunch, I'd been talking with my coworker Molly about some... things I was noticing in relation to a missed deadline... no period. I didn't have the language for it at the time, but WTAF. 

So, I ran to the grocery, bought a two-pack of tests, and swung by my house to pee on a stick. But, before I did, I fired up the ol' laptop and started talking to my friends. I started typing. 

I rambled on and buried the lead, but finally admitted I was, currently, "...chugging a Diet Pepsi, trying to work up the courage to piss on a stick."

Aside: I'm not sure why I had a Diet Pepsi instead of a diet coke. For shame!

So, I signed off and grew a pair and what not. And, for a bit of evil fun, made all my friends and readers wait a full day before I came back with news:


I know that I left everyone hanging yesterday. You know, when I went to pee on that stick.


(That was mean of me. Not the peeing, but the leaving hanging.)


And then I let the cat out of the bag:


Well, I think the big reveal is best expressed in letter form.

Deep breath.

Here goes.


dear unborn baby daughter son or daughter,

I take it back. I take back everything I said about not wanting kids. I was just scaredspice, and the slightest bit selfish, and maybe I had a giant fear of commitment.

But, three positive test results in the last eighteen hours seem to say that you actually are in there, getting all comfy.

I guess you'll probably be here in mid-December. I never thought about having a Christmas baby. (You've really put a wrench in my whole taking-maternity-leave-during-the-NCAA-tournament plan, but that's okay. At least it's basketball season. Don't tell Daddy yet, but you are going to cheer for the Indiana Hoosiers.)

Speaking of Daddy, I take back all the mean things I've ever said about him. He's going to be a fun daddy. He has such a kind heart. But, you and I can have fun busting his chops when you get big enough.

Mommy is going to go to the doctor to get some yummy vitamins. Mommy will start eating better, stop drinking boatloads of caffeine, and Mommy promises to stop smoking.

(You'd better be one cute baby.)

(Please don't split off and become two cute babies.)

I promise to take care of you. I promise to let you grow up to be whoever you want to be. I already love you. Also, I promise to get the house reallyreally clean before you get here.

love,
your mommy-to-be

p.s. Someday, I'm going to finish writing a book, and get it published. It's going to put you through college!




We later added some lyrics and put it to a melody:

I'm gonna write a book/ it's gonna pay for college
I'm gonna write a book and we'll buy a bigger house
I'm gonna write a book and it might make us famous
I'm gonna write a book/ I'm gonna write a book



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

fetal friday?

I know that I left everyone hanging yesterday. You know, when I went to pee on that stick. (That was mean of me. Not the peeing, but the leaving hanging.) Well, I think the big reveal is best expressed in letter form. Deep breath. Here goes. dear unborn baby daughter son or daughter, I take it back. I take back everything I said about not wanting kids. I was just scaredspice, and the slightest bit selfish, and maybe I had a giant fear of commitment. But, three positive test results in the last eighteen hours seem to say that you actually are in there, getting all comfy. I guess you'll probably be here in mid-December. I never thought about having a Christmas baby. (You've really put a wrench in my whole taking-maternity-leave-during-the-NCAA-tournament plan, but that's okay. At least it's basketball season. Don't tell Daddy yet, but you are going to cheer for the Indiana Hoosiers.) Speaking of Daddy, I take back all the mean things I've ever sa...

Last Call: John O'Keefe's Journey from Waterfall to Fairview (12:11:09am - 12:21:09)

I tend to bury the lead, so let me say this up front: I won't get to any of it in this post, but by 12:24:22am on January 29, 2022, John O'Keefe had arrived at 34 Fairview, gone into the house, been incapacitated, and had been dragged down the two short flights of stairs down to the basement, and up the stairs to and through the bulkhead door.  Yes. All of this happened by 12:24:22am. And here's how I started my research this week to figure it out: When I decided to look at timeline, I didn't think I'd spend all my free time in an entire DAY focusing on the short time frame of 12:11am - 12:21:09. I wanted to go "back to the start" (shoutout to Coldplay!) and figure out what the time discrepancy was really all about. I started with steps: Hyde (report) 12:11:09 - 12:21:09 170 steps 326 feet Guarino (testimony) 12:11:09 – 12:21:05 170 steps 326 feet Whiffin (report) ...

a little ashamed

I've been feeling a little guilty lately. I think I'm sort of obsessed with my own blog. Seriously, I adore coming home for lunch in the middle of my workday. My plan is always to sit down and write. It's the perfect time to work. There are no distractions (other than the hungry rumble in my tummy) or reasons that I shouldn't be able to churn out a good amount of words before I head back to the world of checking account deposits and cash-in tickets. However, I find that when I come home for lunch, all I want to do is blog. My reader is full as a good girl's Christmas stocking, and then there's my own post -- just waiting to be written. Something alarmingly witty, for sure. Something that will generate the multiple comments I will hungrily read from my cell phone when I sneak out for a cigarette break at 4:00. So, I avoid the writing -- you know, of the fiction variety. I sit here, instead watching the text fill the blank screen of a New Po...