Skip to main content

Camp for Christ and Curse Words

I

I was raised Evangelical Christian in a cult.

I'm talking speaking in tongues, passing out at the altar as the minister prayed "over" you, which basically meant a white man would push his sweaty hand into your forehead until you submitted and went down.

We went to Our Evangelical Brand church camp every summer. There were six weeks of camp, and - lucky me - the camp for the whole state was in my hometown. One summer, I even volunteered to "work" for all six weeks. The Director or whatever offered to pay me just over one hundred dollars a week. I had the option to get the money deposited into an account in which it could be used for an upcoming missions trip they had planned, or I could have a check Payable to Me. 

At sixteen, I needed gas money and lip gloss, so I obviously took the check. Pretty sure Director wasn't thrilled with my choice not to use that $700ish to go to South America. Like, too mad to say anything, but I could see it all over his face. I was "dating" his oldest son, who was a couple years older than me. He might have been 18, but he acted about twelve. 

Pretty sure we never kissed. We weren't really supposed to date back then anyway. You know, court the person you plan to marry. True Love Waits. Promise Rings.

*

I caught up with a camp friend recently who is a Fallen Angel like me. We both did our stints at Evangelical College our first years of school. Her's was south and mine was North by Northwest. We both went for the similar reasons. I went because God Told Me To at camp one night. She went because her parents, and the preacher in her home town, and the overly-emotional Evangelists who accompanied her on the South America Missions Trip all coerced her into it. Then, when she got down to Church College they prophesized over her and told her they saw a vision of her betraying God someday or something. AND THEY TOLD HER THIS WHEN SHE WAS SEVENTEEN. I mean, what the actual?!

At our reunion, we talked about the trauma of the Evangelical Christian Cult Upbringing we survived. We both still love our parents, though it might be easier for me. My friend was a victim of repeated sexual molestation, and this happened at the hands of a freaking family member. The church and the rest of her family PROTECTED him. Another family member finally spoke out, but my friend refused to testify, and was essentially shunned by her immediate family and her church, because I don't know... I guess somehow she was the one who was unclean. 

I want to hurl curses at the man who hurt her, but he's already dead and gone. He'd gotten six months in a mental health facility and six months of house arrest, and a wife who didn't leave him, but discontinued their shared bed.

My friend did not forgive him on his deathbed. My poor friend, who was living through this when we were fourteen, fifteen and sixteen - and tells me about it when we're 40. 

Does time heal? I hope so. It sure heals more than this style of Jesus. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

fetal friday?

I know that I left everyone hanging yesterday. You know, when I went to pee on that stick. (That was mean of me. Not the peeing, but the leaving hanging.) Well, I think the big reveal is best expressed in letter form. Deep breath. Here goes. dear unborn baby daughter son or daughter, I take it back. I take back everything I said about not wanting kids. I was just scaredspice, and the slightest bit selfish, and maybe I had a giant fear of commitment. But, three positive test results in the last eighteen hours seem to say that you actually are in there, getting all comfy. I guess you'll probably be here in mid-December. I never thought about having a Christmas baby. (You've really put a wrench in my whole taking-maternity-leave-during-the-NCAA-tournament plan, but that's okay. At least it's basketball season. Don't tell Daddy yet, but you are going to cheer for the Indiana Hoosiers.) Speaking of Daddy, I take back all the mean things I've ever sa...

Last Call: John O'Keefe's Journey from Waterfall to Fairview (12:11:09am - 12:21:09)

I tend to bury the lead, so let me say this up front: I won't get to any of it in this post, but by 12:24:22am on January 29, 2022, John O'Keefe had arrived at 34 Fairview, gone into the house, been incapacitated, and had been dragged down the two short flights of stairs down to the basement, and up the stairs to and through the bulkhead door.  Yes. All of this happened by 12:24:22am. And here's how I started my research this week to figure it out: When I decided to look at timeline, I didn't think I'd spend all my free time in an entire DAY focusing on the short time frame of 12:11am - 12:21:09. I wanted to go "back to the start" (shoutout to Coldplay!) and figure out what the time discrepancy was really all about. I started with steps: Hyde (report) 12:11:09 - 12:21:09 170 steps 326 feet Guarino (testimony) 12:11:09 – 12:21:05 170 steps 326 feet Whiffin (report) ...

a little ashamed

I've been feeling a little guilty lately. I think I'm sort of obsessed with my own blog. Seriously, I adore coming home for lunch in the middle of my workday. My plan is always to sit down and write. It's the perfect time to work. There are no distractions (other than the hungry rumble in my tummy) or reasons that I shouldn't be able to churn out a good amount of words before I head back to the world of checking account deposits and cash-in tickets. However, I find that when I come home for lunch, all I want to do is blog. My reader is full as a good girl's Christmas stocking, and then there's my own post -- just waiting to be written. Something alarmingly witty, for sure. Something that will generate the multiple comments I will hungrily read from my cell phone when I sneak out for a cigarette break at 4:00. So, I avoid the writing -- you know, of the fiction variety. I sit here, instead watching the text fill the blank screen of a New Po...