Skip to main content

My Top Ten Query Disrtactions

 T 



TOP TEN WAYS I DISTRACT TRY TO DISTRACT MYSELF WHILE QUERYING


Y'all, querying is not for the faint of heart. If you're me, you're living in a stress response for an extended amount of time. Every time I check my email, my heart races and my stomach turns, especially during the weekday hours. 

That's when I've gotten all four of the rejections that have come my way so far.

I staggered, but sent the first batch on and around 7/29. 46 days ago. Over six weeks ago. So, in other words, I'm getting to that point where it's either crickets over here or I actually start seeing feedback pour in. I'm gearing up for both more rejections as well as requests for partials or fulls. 

In the meantime I give you my Top 10 distractions from Query Stress, most of which aren't really working, but keep me from sliding into an obsessive-like rabbit-hole on QueryTracker, if nothing else.

10. Bedroom: Good thing I added a content warning. The husband relaxes me. Enough said.

9. Vacation: I went on vacation two days after sending my first 5 queries. I tried to relax but I was mostly just anxious. I did get some great feedback from a beta reader. I sat next to the ocean, read it, and bawled. Finishing the book was uber emotional for me!

8. Slightly Obsessing Over QueryTracker Timelines: Well, as stated above, I try not to obsess, but I fail miserably. I haven't spent too much time, but take the occasional peek at the agent's timeline to see who has marked feedback before and after my own query was sent. This has led me to believe I'll hear something (or nothing) before long.

7. Looking Up Each Agents Turnaround Time: I just did this yesterday, and found it pleasurable. The average looked to be 4-6 or 6-8 weeks. I even discovered one agent who wants to be informed if I get a request for a full. Good to know.

6. Think Tanking Next Manuscript: I told hubs I'd like to start something YA and we spitballed for awhile over coffee. We came up with a cool premise, character names, inciting incident, obstacles and a resolution. Now I have a pretty solid outline.

5. Writing My Next Manuscript: The sequel to RUBBER ERASER SCARS is off the ground and running, but I'm trying to hold off until late November since I'm planning to write it during the MFA program I'm in -- it starts in a month. We have a 6 month Independent Study, and I'll need something to work on. That said, I may go back and write more before it starts. I'm sure I won't finish it in 30 days. (Winks. I probably could.) I've also written the opening scene for the YA piece referenced above.

4. Day Job: Day job is demanding, and it's not one I can always step aside from at 5 pm. For instance, I attended a client's funeral over the weekend,  I think that's why mornings have become so sacred to me. 

3. Planning for the Holidays: We already be talking about Turkey Day and Christmas. The old me never planned ahead, but guys, I'm 40 now and I think it changes you into an actual adult.

2. Blogging and Business: Blogging is such a release. Obvi. I'm also working on setting up a business structure to offer editing services to fellow writers. I think I need to update my plan, because I don't have time to read everyone's full. I literally don't.

1. College Sports: I'm heading from home in Louisville to Indiana's Midnight Madness, called Hoosier Hysteria, on October 2. I am pretty sure it's held early evening, not at midnight. Thank the stars. I can't wait for basketball season! We have a new coach who is a former player and Hoosier Nation is REAL excited. I'm personally like coming out of my seat excited, like peeing myself excited. 

BONUS THINGS: 5th grader in soccer, Stitch Fix boxes of clothes, and - OH YEAH. I went for an oil change this weekend and ended up trading in my car for one three years newer with half the miles. 


Time to wrap up, check email, and check QueryTracker. Maybe send a few more queries today, though I already have around 30 outstanding. It's not a numbers game, but I just keep finding more agents I love, who might also love me. Universe, please let that be the case.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Closing Arguments, Trial 3. The Defense: Closing the Case of Adnan Syed v Alice LaCour and Brett Talley

  Would Hae Have Liked Pineapple on Pizza? If it Pleases the Court... Ladies and Gentlemen of the jury, I want to start by thanking you for your time. It is no small task to put your lives on hold and focus in on the details and particulars and specifics of this case, and it may be a struggle to focus when you have to think about what you're missing at home. Your civil duty - and your willingness to fulfill it - does NOT go unnoticed. I mentioned "time." It's a relative, term, right? I had to wait in line at the post office for 15 minutes. I waited for the checkout gal at Wal-Mart for 20, because they didn't have enough lanes open. I don't know about you, but I try to be patient. Sometimes I fail to wait gracefully, but I really do try.  So. Look at Adnan. For over TWENTY-THREE YEARS he has been waiting... patiently. 23 years ago, I was about the same age as Adnan. I graduated high school in the spring of 1999, just like he did - or would have - had he not bee

20 Points in a Basic Story in the Botched Case Against Adnan Syed: I Must Be Insane as that's 5x More than any Other Basic Story Presentation I've Ever Seen

  Basic Story With 20 Points:  Could Adnan be Innocent? "It's not a cop-out; it's case law." ~Bob Ruff, host, Truth and Justice Pod   1 Adnan was the main suspect - Hae's family passed that along to Officer Adcock on the afternoon she disappeared. Originally, they suspected she might be with Don, even though she had to work at 6pm and had never once NOT brought her cousin home. Does anyone know how old the second cousin is? Two cousins lived with Hae. And Officer Adcock's Supplemental Report dated 1/13/99 states that Mr. Lee advises that she "did not pick up his two cousins from school.") Did they go to the same school, these cousins? Another question that could be explored is why Hae's uncle is the only immediately family member who doesn't live with Hae.  Another pain point for me - I'm confused as to why the cousins did not live with their dad, Hae's uncle... but look. Every family has different dynamics. I mean, I gues

Not The Nisha Call: Other Things to Consider in the Case of Adnan Syed

"If there is anything about my case, man - I want to know... I want to test it... There's nothing about my case that that I'm afraid of." - Adnan Syed Serial, Episode 12: What We Knew Instead of focusing on a flower and Jay's Changing Stories, Consider This: A) The policemen handling the Missing Persons Investigation did sloppy and lazy work. They back dated reports and failed to interview multiple people  thoroughly enough. B) The police did not interview the family robustly enough to understand what else might have been going on in Hae's life. They, to my knowledge, did not find a translator and instead relied on the guidance of her younger brother. C) A computer, a floppy disk containing electronic diary entries were noted and later went "missing"  D) Hae's email and AOL Instant Messenger (AIM) accounts were never researched thoroughly, and her online activity is relatively unknown, outside of her newly updated "away message" which s