Skip to main content

The Hater in your Head

G

Get the Hater Out of Your Head

Guys, I used to be a hot mess. 

Oh, and I'd share it with y'all on here, generally on Thursdays. #TMIThursday is super triggering for me now. I don't recommend searching for that tag, but I can't stop you, and you'd be entertained.

When I started blogging circa 2008 I had just gotten married, but to be honest I did so knowing it probably wouldn't last. For so many reasons, I didn't think I deserved to be happy. 

My new husband loved me, in his way, and mostly in good ways. Granted his love came from a place where he thought I was too good for him. And that was one thing we agreed on.

When did my self-sabotage start? I used to think it started with him. I'd been unfaithful in previous relationships, so part of me thought I didn't really deserve happiness. If I was simply settling with him, then So Be It, I probably deserved to settle. I'm also stubborn - so, to give myself some credit, I knew I was making a choice. I went to the alter thinking - I have made this choice, and I will try to love him the way I want to be loved. 

Looking back, though - the self-sabotage in my relationships started well before I met first husband. I just wasn't equipped to trust a man. My biological father's abuse and my grandfather's betrayal of my grandma (and really, all of us) just set the stage. So, as a young teen, my satisfaction with a guy came after I "got him to like me." Then, I would feel super uncomfortable about holding hands and kissing. It was worse than a typical pre-teen or new teenaged awkwardness.  

I would become completely numb to any feelings for the guys I'd had the biggest crushes on as soon as they showed me any affection in return. 

Protection. Walls. Sabotage. 

Thank god I figured it out before 40. After getting divorced in 2013, I really thought I'd stay single until my daughter finished high school. 

And then I found him. The one who will never allow me to sabotage our relationship or to blow up our love. Because, for him, nothing could.

And thank god my brain caught up with my heart -- or vice versa -- because I want him. I want him now, I want him for life. I want him to share my life. 

And I know, mistakes and all, I deserve this. I remind myself every day when the hater in my head tries to tell me to hurt him before he hurts me. When the hater in my head wants me to lie to him for no reason, or to push him away, or to pull away - I tell that hater where to go. 

I think my hater is a little girl who saw to much before five years old. She really shouldn't even be called a hater. She''s trying to look out for me. 

I have introduced her to my new husband, and I think she gets it now. He's here to protect me, and all my parts, even the scared little girl who just needs to let him hold her.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

fetal friday?

I know that I left everyone hanging yesterday. You know, when I went to pee on that stick. (That was mean of me. Not the peeing, but the leaving hanging.) Well, I think the big reveal is best expressed in letter form. Deep breath. Here goes. dear unborn baby daughter son or daughter, I take it back. I take back everything I said about not wanting kids. I was just scaredspice, and the slightest bit selfish, and maybe I had a giant fear of commitment. But, three positive test results in the last eighteen hours seem to say that you actually are in there, getting all comfy. I guess you'll probably be here in mid-December. I never thought about having a Christmas baby. (You've really put a wrench in my whole taking-maternity-leave-during-the-NCAA-tournament plan, but that's okay. At least it's basketball season. Don't tell Daddy yet, but you are going to cheer for the Indiana Hoosiers.) Speaking of Daddy, I take back all the mean things I've ever sa...

Last Call: John O'Keefe's Journey from Waterfall to Fairview (12:11:09am - 12:21:09)

I tend to bury the lead, so let me say this up front: I won't get to any of it in this post, but by 12:24:22am on January 29, 2022, John O'Keefe had arrived at 34 Fairview, gone into the house, been incapacitated, and had been dragged down the two short flights of stairs down to the basement, and up the stairs to and through the bulkhead door.  Yes. All of this happened by 12:24:22am. And here's how I started my research this week to figure it out: When I decided to look at timeline, I didn't think I'd spend all my free time in an entire DAY focusing on the short time frame of 12:11am - 12:21:09. I wanted to go "back to the start" (shoutout to Coldplay!) and figure out what the time discrepancy was really all about. I started with steps: Hyde (report) 12:11:09 - 12:21:09 170 steps 326 feet Guarino (testimony) 12:11:09 – 12:21:05 170 steps 326 feet Whiffin (report) ...

a little ashamed

I've been feeling a little guilty lately. I think I'm sort of obsessed with my own blog. Seriously, I adore coming home for lunch in the middle of my workday. My plan is always to sit down and write. It's the perfect time to work. There are no distractions (other than the hungry rumble in my tummy) or reasons that I shouldn't be able to churn out a good amount of words before I head back to the world of checking account deposits and cash-in tickets. However, I find that when I come home for lunch, all I want to do is blog. My reader is full as a good girl's Christmas stocking, and then there's my own post -- just waiting to be written. Something alarmingly witty, for sure. Something that will generate the multiple comments I will hungrily read from my cell phone when I sneak out for a cigarette break at 4:00. So, I avoid the writing -- you know, of the fiction variety. I sit here, instead watching the text fill the blank screen of a New Po...